2017 NEC PDF or EBook

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Kind of a resurrection but still relevant.

I bought the 2017 NEC handbook in ebook form today. The tables are HORRIBLE to try to read/use. It is terrible on a PC and a Tablet. I basically flushed 185.00 down the toilet today.
Can you give us any details of what you don't like?

It isn't like we have many other options to go to if we want an electronic version of NEC.

My 2014 E book could use some improvements but overall I find it better for navigating through it then a typical pdf document.

references to other articles are live links that will take you to that other article, defined words have a symbol next to them that if you click on will show you the definition, sections that were changed from 2011 have a symbol next to them that you can click on and see commentary about the change.

My 2011 PDF has a terrible menu tree in comparison to the 2014 E book. I can get to a specific section much faster via the menu tree in the E book.

PDF's from NFPA often can only be loaded on to a limited number of devices without purchasing more licenses.

My 2014 E book is available on any device with internet access, all I need is my user name and password, and the app that it runs on, which is free.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I downloaded the 2017 pdf and find the font annoying when compared to older versions which seems to be more "crisp" or maybe it's the overall color tone. :)

tkb

...PDF's from NFPA often can only be loaded on to a limited number of devices without purchasing more licenses. ...

I haven't had any issues copying or opening the NECHB on any of my computers, iPads or anything else. I have the 2011, 2014 and 2017 handbooks.

There is a way around the limitations of the secure PDF that can be used to allow extracting of pages, adding or changing of bookmarks, adding local amendments, adding the TIA and Eratta pages and links to their articles, highlighting and notes.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I think the old "folio view" format was much easier to navigate than the current pdf version.

I really don't like the fact that you cannot add sections to the navigation pane in the 2017...it is only to the article level and older ones were to the section level.

Logosi

Update, I found an E-book reader program called "Calibre" that renders the e-book tables better on a Windows PC at least. Next I will experiment with Android ebook reader apps, if I find a good one I'll report again. (I bought it in ebook form because I wanted to read/study on my tablet)

Sorry my first post was a complain-y type lol, but I really feel like the NFPA folks are selling a product that is "hard to use" at best in the ebook format, and wanted to warn people who were wondering between pdf/ebook, because my searches lead me to this thread. If I could do it over I would definitely get the pdf.

My suggestion to the NFPA would be to bundle the PDF and e-book together for the same price as physical book. Then the functionality would be covered.

Logosi

Can you give us any details of what you don't like?

It isn't like we have many other options to go to if we want an electronic version of NEC.

My 2014 E book could use some improvements but overall I find it better for navigating through it then a typical pdf document.

references to other articles are live links that will take you to that other article, defined words have a symbol next to them that if you click on will show you the definition, sections that were changed from 2011 have a symbol next to them that you can click on and see commentary about the change.

My 2011 PDF has a terrible menu tree in comparison to the 2014 E book. I can get to a specific section much faster via the menu tree in the E book.

PDF's from NFPA often can only be loaded on to a limited number of devices without purchasing more licenses.

My 2014 E book is available on any device with internet access, all I need is my user name and password, and the app that it runs on, which is free.

The navigation is great I'll agree, you can click on code references and jump right to them. On my tablet so far the tables are really bad. I did find a better e-book reader program for my PC called Calibre that renders the tables better than the nook pc reader does. Since I found the Calibre program I can relax a little because it isn't a total waste anymore. But on my tablet so far, I'd really prefer to just be able to zoom in and move the page around like usual on a pdf. On the tablet the tables are either broken up on several pages and VERY hard to use, or microscopic if the text size is turned down so small that the tables line up right.

kwired

Electron manager
I think the old "folio view" format was much easier to navigate than the current pdf version.

I really don't like the fact that you cannot add sections to the navigation pane in the 2017...it is only to the article level and older ones were to the section level.
2014 E-book is similar to older "folio view" format.

Are you talking about the E-book or the PDF that doesn't go to the article level in the navigation pane? That is what I didn't like with my 2011 PDF, Navigation pane didn't go to precise enough detail level, plus no live links when it mentioned other sections or click on a word for it's art 100 definition.

The navigation is great I'll agree, you can click on code references and jump right to them. On my tablet so far the tables are really bad. I did find a better e-book reader program for my PC called Calibre that renders the tables better than the nook pc reader does. Since I found the Calibre program I can relax a little because it isn't a total waste anymore. But on my tablet so far, I'd really prefer to just be able to zoom in and move the page around like usual on a pdf. On the tablet the tables are either broken up on several pages and VERY hard to use, or microscopic if the text size is turned down so small that the tables line up right.
Looking at tables was one thing I though could use some improvement in my 2014 edition. It would be nice to have PDF included, the old folio views versions on CD-ROM did include a PDF from what I can recall. Nice thing about a PDF is you get to see the same format as was used in the "hard copy" E -book doesn't necessarily display things exactly the same format as the hard copy.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
2014 E-book is similar to older "folio view" format.

Are you talking about the E-book or the PDF that doesn't go to the article level in the navigation pane? ....
PDF, does only goes to the Article level...it needs to go to the section level, and to all the tables and in some cases even to the subsection level.

pv_n00b

I’ve not tried the eBook format for the NEC, I always get the PDF version. I have tried other books in the eBook format and it works great for text but I’ve found it does not render highly structured text well, like tables, and maintaining the relationship to text and graphics. The advantage of the PDF is that it looks exactly like the book with all the formatting intact.

I use Adobe Acrobat to read it and I can’t add bookmarks but I have no trouble adding comments, highlighting text, or copying passages. I put in all the TIAs and errata as comments. I set up comments in a way that allows me to use them similarly to bookmarks.

Hertz Hound

I agree that the tables are hard to navigate with the ebook. My biggest complaint is that there is no back button. How can you hyper link an article number and leave
you no way to get back easily? If I remember the folio view had a back button.

I like it over the PDF because the bookmarks do go beyond just the section level. It is hyper linked. And it opens where you left off, even when you open it on a different device.

It it loads slow on an iPhone 5. Much faster on an iPad Air. Next time I want to try the app. I almost want to buy and old version of the app, because it's cheaper, just to try it.

kwired

Electron manager
I agree that the tables are hard to navigate with the ebook. My biggest complaint is that there is no back button. How can you hyper link an article number and leave
you no way to get back easily? If I remember the folio view had a back button.

I like it over the PDF because the bookmarks do go beyond just the section level. It is hyper linked. And it opens where you left off, even when you open it on a different device.

It it loads slow on an iPhone 5. Much faster on an iPad Air. Next time I want to try the app. I almost want to buy and old version of the app, because it's cheaper, just to try it.
No back button sounds like a problem with the app you are reading it with more then the source.

I view my 2014 E book with "Inkling" which on my PC is via a web browser - just click on browsers "back" button and you go back to previous page. I do have android Inkling app on my phone though I haven't used it a lot. Will use it when I need to but in general hate using that small of a screen to view something that was initially formatted for "full page" sizes.

kwired

Electron manager
I will have to try Inkling, because I haven't figured out how to use it on a PC yet.
Which (year) code are you talking about, and where did you purchase it from? I purchased my 2014 E book from NFPA website. It told me to go to inkling create a user account and my book would be available there, I don't know if there was any other choice of viewer I could have used or not.

MNSparky

Occupation
Electrical Contractor - 2023 NEC
Does anyone know if the NFPA has a deal for a bulk purchase of the 2017 NEC ebooks? I'd like to purchase it for 10 iPads but don't really want to spend full price for each. It doesn't say on their website, but it says the purchased version can be used on up 3 devices. Anyone know can they be used all at the same time?

Also, I'd be interested to hear any input on using the ebook on an iPad.

Or does anyone know a good place to get a great price on 10 paperback copies of the 2017 NEC?

kwired

Electron manager
Does anyone know if the NFPA has a deal for a bulk purchase of the 2017 NEC ebooks? I'd like to purchase it for 10 iPads but don't really want to spend full price for each. It doesn't say on their website, but it says the purchased version can be used on up 3 devices. Anyone know can they be used all at the same time?

Or does anyone know a good place to get a great price on 10 paperback copies of the 2017 NEC?
Don't know what changes are from 2014 to 2017. I know I can have 2014 open on multiple devices at the same time - it is web browser based and all you need is user name and password for your account it is registered with. I sometimes have it open in two browser windows or tabs just to be able to quickly go back and forth from one place to another. Maybe have 310.15 open in one and chapter 9 open in another when sizing raceways/conductors.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Does it have to be the E-book version instead of the pdf?

Hertz Hound

Which (year) code are you talking about, and where did you purchase it from? I purchased my 2014 E book from NFPA website. It told me to go to inkling create a user account and my book would be available there, I don't know if there was any other choice of viewer I could have used or not.

OK, so it's been a while.

I purchased it through the NFPA website. I went to both the App store and the play store and downloaded the NFPA e library app. Signed in with my NFPA account, and I am able to read the 2017 NEC codebook on an ipad, iphone and Galaxy tablet. I have not figured out how to read it in a web browser. I have done web searches and came up with nothing. I have signed into the NFPA web site to see if I could view something there.....nothing. I have tried itunes on the PC..... nothing. I have tried Calibre......nothing. I haven't tried Inkling, because the email that I received didn't mention setting up an account with them.

So has anybody been able to read the 2017 ebook on a PC. If so how??????

Hertz Hound

Never mind, I figured it out.

Go to NFPA. Sign in and go to your profile. Go to your "My e books". Copy the link for the book and past it into your e-reader. Since I just downloaded Calibre on my PC, I used that. I could have also chosen to open in e-reader, and chose the one I had installed.

Ok quick review. Much faster navigation than the iphone or tablet. Maybe it is just the layout in Calibre, but it is very close to the same navigation as the old Folio View. I have the hyper links with a back button. A full table of contents that can stay open on the side. Much better than a PDF.

Hertz Hound

Just checked the PC. Yes it can work without internet access. It was downloaded into my Calibre library folder under my documents. 5MB. I unplugged my phone line to the computer and it had no problem opening the book. I know on my iphone and tablet it has worked without an internet connection. The only thing I noticed there is that it doesn't sync with the page I left off at when switching devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.