2019 CEC center fed panel question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeS

Occupation
Inspector 1
Maybe some one can shed some light on this for me. In my short period as a residential inspector electric has never really been my strong point. Every CALBO class I have been sent to / senior inspector I have talked to has always brought up the breaker rule, the 120% rule and the center-fed rule being not to exceed 100% of the busbar ampacity. But a electrical engineer pointed out section 705.12 (d) A connection at either end but not both ends, of a center-fed panelboard in dwellings shall be permitted where the sum of 125 percent of the power source(s) output circuit current and the rating of the overcurrent device protecting the busbar does not exceed 120 percent of the current rating of the busbar. Sooo center-fed panels would fall under the 120% rule in the 2019 CEC ?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Yes, although note it only applies to dwellings, not commercial facilities.

If people are telling you that you cannot use the 120% rule on centefed panels they are out of date. There was even a TIA to the 2014 NEC that some jurisdictions were recognizing before this year.

JakeS

Occupation
Inspector 1
Yes, although note it only applies to dwellings, not commercial facilities.

If people are telling you that you cannot use the 120% rule on centefed panels they are out of date. There was even a TIA to the 2014 NEC that some jurisdictions were recognizing before this year.
Thank you very much the code wording made sense but with the conflicting information I wanted to double check for peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.