2020 NEC 210.11(C)(4) Garage Branch Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortcircuit2

There is added language for 2020 that the 210.11(C)(4) branch circuit shall be installed to supply receptacle outlets required by 210.52(G)(1)

Last sentence says this circuit shall have no other outlets. (Exception only permits readily accessible outdoor receptacle outlets.)

With this language change, we can not wire the garage door opener receptacle outlets on the same branch circuit?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
That's how I read it. Seems like nonsense to me, especially in view of that exception. Why would it be OK to run an electric trimmer for 20 or more minutes off the same circuit as the receptacle in the vehicle bay, but not run the garage door opener for 10 seconds off that same circuit?

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
There is added language for 2020 that the 210.11(C)(4) branch circuit shall be installed to supply receptacle outlets required by 210.52(G)(1)

Last sentence says this circuit shall have no other outlets. (Exception only permits readily accessible outdoor receptacle outlets.)

With this language change, we can not wire the garage door opener receptacle outlets on the same branch circuit?
The way I see it I wouldn't want my door be dependant on a circuit that could trip as a result of use of tool or short of an extension cord. It also doesn't prohibit additional circuits.
One source explaining reason for code change:

Status
Not open for further replies.