2020 NEC Handbook problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Dennis did they fix the errors in the online version? Can you download it for offline use in remote area's with no internet?

rnatalie

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Perfect binding isn't.

Yep, this was the first copy of the handbook I was not able to get as PDF. In fact, the handbooks have always been better than the straight code PDF (actually has a usable table of contents).

On the other hand, NFPA Link is usually handy (and has been enhanced with the stuff from the handbook). I've had no problem cutting and pasting snippets of the code to post here nor snapshotting the images therein.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
No you need internet access or thru your phone. I would bet the online version has the corrections
Thanks Dennis.
Since you have access can you check 210.12 (A) in the online version and see if its correct?
If the online version is error free that might inspire me more.
The print quality in this book is just horrible, makes me really not trust any NFPA product.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here it is

210.12(A) Dwelling Units.

All 120-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets or devices installed in dwelling unit kitchens, family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, laundry areas, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by any of the means described in 210.12(A)(1) through (6):
  • (1)
    A listed combination-type arc-fault circuit interrupter installed to provide protection of the entire branch circuit
  • (2)
    A listed branch/feeder-type AFCI installed at the origin of the branch-circuit in combination with a listed outlet branch-circuit-type arc-fault circuit interrupter installed at the first outlet box on the branch circuit. The first outlet box in the branch circuit shall be marked to indicate that it is the first outlet of the circuit.
  • (3)
    A listed supplemental arc protection circuit breaker installed at the origin of the branch circuit in combination with a listed outlet branch-circuit-type arc-fault circuit interrupter installed at the first outlet box on the branch circuit where all of the following conditions are met:
    • a.
      The branch-circuit wiring shall be continuous from the branch-circuit overcurrent device to the outlet branch-circuit arc-fault circuit interrupter.
    • b.
      The maximum length of the branch-circuit wiring from the branch-circuit overcurrent device to the first outlet shall not exceed 15.2 m (50 ft) for a 14 AWG conductor or 21.3 m (70 ft) for a 12 AWG conductor.
    • c.
      The first outlet box in the branch circuit shall be marked to indicate that it is the first outlet of the circuit.

• (4)
    A listed outlet branch-circuit-type arc-fault circuit interrupter installed at the first outlet on the branch circuit in combination with a listed branch-circuit overcurrent protective device where all of the following conditions are met:
    • a.
      The branch-circuit wiring shall be continuous from the branch-circuit overcurrent device to the outlet branch-circuit arc-fault circuit interrupter.
    • b.
      The maximum length of the branch-circuit wiring from the branch-circuit overcurrent device to the first outlet shall not exceed 15.2 m (50 ft) for a 14 AWG conductor or 21.3 m (70 ft) for a 12 AWG conductor.
    • c.
      The first outlet box in the branch circuit shall be marked to indicate that it is the first outlet of the circuit.
    • d.
      The combination of the branch-circuit overcurrent device and outlet branch-circuit AFCI shall be identified as meeting the requirements for a system combination-type AFCI and shall be listed as such.

• (5)
    If metal raceway, metal wireways, metal auxiliary gutters, or Type MC, or Type AC cable meeting the applicable requirements of 250.118, with metal boxes, metal conduit bodies, and metal enclosures are installed for the portion of the branch circuit between the branch-circuit overcurrent device and the first outlet, it shall be permitted to install a listed outlet branch-circuit-type AFCI at the first outlet to provide protection for the remaining portion of the branch circuit.
  • (6)
    Where a listed metal or nonmetallic conduit or tubing or Type MC cable is encased in not less than 50 mm (2 in.) of concrete for the portion of the branch circuit between the branch-circuit overcurrent device and the first outlet, it shall be permitted to install a listed outlet branch-circuit-type AFCI at the first outlet to provide protection for the remaining portion of the branch circuit.

Exception:
AFCI protection shall not be required for an individual branch circuit supplying a fire alarm system installed in accordance with 760.41(B) or 760.121(B). The branch circuit shall be installed in a metal raceway, metal auxiliary gutter, steel-armored cable, Type MC or Type AC, meeting the applicable requirements of 250.118, with metal boxes, conduit bodies, and enclosures.

Informational Note No. 1:
For information on combination-type and branch/feeder-type arc-fault circuit interrupters, see UL 1699-2011, Standard for Arc-Fault Circuit Interrupters. For information on outlet branch-circuit type arc-fault circuit interrupters, see UL Subject 1699A, Outline of Investigation for Outlet Branch Circuit Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupters. For information on system combination AFCIs, see UL Subject 1699C, Outline of Investigation for System Combination Arc-Fault Circuit Interrupters.

Informational Note No. 2:
See 29.6.3(5) of NFPA 72-2013, National Fire Alarm and Signaling Code, for information related to secondary power-supply requirements for smoke alarms installed in dwelling units.
Informational Note No. 3:
See 760.41(B) and 760.121(B) for power-supply requirements for fire alarm systems.

sdyste

New User
Occupation
Electrician
I have a reference to 310.15(c)(1) on page 270 and cannot find it but there is 310.15(b)(3) on page 272 I'm thinking its just mislabeled anyone have the same?

I.T

Occupation
Electrician
Hi guys...so do someone have an answer is anywhere a good book to buy at the moment and where to buy ? Thank you

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Your book may have the table mislabeled. On page 272, there is a table 310.15(C)(1) at the upper left (a derating table for multiple conductors in raceway or cable).

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I did have a NFPA membership years ago, they are not shy about wanting me to re-subscribe! Got a reminder from them last week LOL! Yeah, the binding has fell apart on mine too. I bought one for my son too, don’t know how his has held up.

kwired

Electron manager
I did have a NFPA membership years ago, they are not shy about wanting me to re-subscribe! Got a reminder from them last week LOL! Yeah, the binding has fell apart on mine too. I bought one for my son too, don’t know how his has held up.
Don't need a membership once you are on their mailing list you get bombarded with mailings.

SSDriver

Occupation
Electrician
Hi guys...so do someone have an answer is anywhere a good book to buy at the moment and where to buy ? Thank you
You won't get a good book, because they are all poor quality(NEC code) I would by from mikeholt.com. They have great customer service and you might even get them to verify over the phone what version it is.

kwired

Electron manager
You won't get a good book, because they are all poor quality(NEC code) I would by from mikeholt.com. They have great customer service and you might even get them to verify over the phone what version it is.
You shouldn't have binding issues with a loose leaf version- though it probably not going to be a great item to use in the field

4x4dually

Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Ex-Electrician
I am sure most of us are familiar with the Ugly's Electrical Reference? I love this book, and I keep it with me often and beat the hell out of it on the job site.
Sans the cover, the 1987 edition is still going strong. LOL I was given this book when I started my apprentice work in 1992. It has more value in where it came from than what's inside at this point, but I admit I still use it on occasions.

Ugly's 2.jpg

[/derail]

Status
Not open for further replies.