2023 Contractor/Master Electrician Exam Question

Jody Boehs

Occupation
Controls and Electrical Manager
Hello,

I am from Oklahoma and I have applied to test for an Unlimited Contractor License for electrical (I realize it is called a Master Electrician license in many other states).

What would be some good study material for this test? When I took my Journeyman test, I used Mike Holt's books - Understanding the NEC with the respective workbooks. I passed my Journeyman test on the first try. I felt like these books were good material and was curious if I should use them for this exam.

Any other suggestions on study material would be welcome as well.

Thanks!

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
The unlimited J test is nothing like a master exam. Basic calculations and ohms law. PSI has a practice test.
Here in OK you need Unlimited J test and the contractors is how to run a business and pay you taxes.

If you have been accepted to test PSI will be your source for code book year and uglys book. Remember to use 1.732 and not 1.7 as in the uglys
book. All open book question are word for word out of the NEC. a few ugly book questions, resistor color code and first aid with a few osha.

If you have taken a master this one is a breeze.

One horsepower is equal to how many watts?
What is an askarel?
A continuous load is a load where the maximum current is expected to continue for at least how long?
What is the formula for calculating power (watts)?
What is the minimum branch-circuit rating for ranges of 8-3/4 kW or more?
What is the maximum voltage drop for any branch circuit, separately derived system, operating at 120 volts line-to-line and 60 volts to ground, serving sensitive electronic equipment?
Receptacles in residential units shall be installed such that no point measured horizontally along the floor line of any wall space is more than how far from a receptacle outlet?
Temporary electric power and lighting installations for holiday decorative lighting shall be permitted for a period not to exceed how many days?
Plug fuses shall be permitted to be used in circuits supplied by a system having a grounded neutral point where the line-to-neutral voltage does NOT exceed which of the following?
For permanently connected appliances, the branch-circuit overcurrent device shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means for appliances rated at not over?
Which is best defined as an unintentional, electrically conductive connection between an ungrounded conductor of an electrical circuit and the normally non-current-carrying conductors, metallic enclosures, metallic raceways, metallic equipment, or earth?
A metal underground water pipe used as a grounding electrode shall be in direct contact with the earth for a minimum of how many feet?
If installed and routed on the outside of a raceway, the length of the equipment bonding jumper shall not exceed how many feet?
A minimum of how many threads needs to be engaged if machine screws are used to fasten bonding jumpers?
What is the maximum number of 12 AWG conductors that can be used in a 4" x 1-1/2" square box?
Assembly occupancies include portions of buildings or structures designed or intended for the gathering together of how many people?
The base of a 24-foot non-self-supporting ladder shall be placed approximately how far from the vertical structure upon which is leaning?
What is the permissible noise exposure limit for an 8-hour day that, if exceeded, requires hearing protection to be provided?
A written emergency action plan is required for all employers with how many employees?
What is the approximate power consumed by a 15 kw heat strip rated 230 volt that is connected to a 208 volt circuit?
An appliance for a residence is rated at 30 amperes. It is continuously loaded and is not motor-operated. What is the minimum branch circuit rating that is required if the branch circuit device is not listed for continuous loading?
What is the approximate power loss for a conductor in a 208-volt circuit that has a 5% voltage drop with a current flow of 15 amperes?
A resistor has the following colored bands (in order): orange, red, brown, silver. What is the resistor value?

Just some sample questions you might see. This will give you an idea what there after. Most is covered right here on this site.
Just an idea what you will face. Then there always a farm load question. The answer is in the exception word for word.
No where near master level. We have such a high failure rate that every one says you cant pass first time out. I was like, your kidding, right. Plus you only need 75%
The unlimited J test is the same one used for contractors. Talk with your buddy's on what they saw on the test.

Good luck, Tulsa.