2023 NEC Codebook

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am surprised that so many people are trying to beat the nfpa and pirate the code book. I was guilty myself for many years, for the pdf version but I always bought the book.

I would be surprised if there are many members here who can't afford the real copies. I don't use the book any more so I just pay $100/year to have access to all the codes that nfpa is responsible for, not just the NEC.

Sea Nile

Occupation
Electrician
I don't think it's anyone here trying to pirate the code. I just think people want a copy they can do a search on.
I can't speak for everyone, but it bothered me a lot when I realized the NFPA70 handbook I bought off Amazon was counterfeit.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I don't think it's anyone here trying to pirate the code. I just think people want a copy they can do a search on.
I can't speak for everyone, but it bothered me a lot when I realized the NFPA70 handbook I bought off Amazon was counterfeit.
NFPA Link gets you the search ability and can print or share selected content with the subscription that cost less than one book per code cycle with access like Dennis said to all of NFPA pubs. Gets the handbook content as well.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Exactly, and when we purchase the printed version of the NEC we don't want to have to pay a subscription fee on top of the $150+ dollars the book costs. Subscription models just rip off consumers and we're tired of getting ripped off.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
AFAIK, The subscription model needs internet connection, it is not downloaded.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
AFAIK, The subscription model needs internet connection, it is not downloaded.
you can make it available off line by choosing the option in the app. info about 2/3 the way down the page.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
you can make it available off line by choosing the option in the app. info about 2/3 the way down the page.

I will try the free version and see how it is.

On second note, it is $115 per year, billed annually.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
A lot of the books that Amazon sells are print on demand including code books. The company I work for makes part of the machine that actually does the printing and binding. Pretty cool process. But the cost is only a little less than if you buy it direct from NFPA. The paper is fairly thin because it's like 700 pages if you didn't use thin paper it would be really difficult to carry around with you. It would be 3 or 4 inches thick.

For some reason Amazon allows Chinese sellers to sell counterfeits, fakes, and pirate copies of just about anything.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
For some reason Amazon allows Chinese sellers to sell counterfeits, fakes, and pirate copies of just about anything.
Also non-listed equipment and lighting until someone returns an item to complain that it is not "listed" UL or otherwise, then they remove it. Get this a lot with customer purchased lighting. "Oh I found the most beautiful light. Can you install it?"