2026 PI for 312.3 "Position in Wall" for Cabinets

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
There are no 2023 PI's on 312.3, so I think a 2026 PI is in order. The current text differences from 314.20 on flush-mounted boxes in walls by referring to the wall construction, rather than to the material of the finished surface. So I propose adding the text in bold below, which I will submit as a PI if I remember to look at this thread in two years.

312.3 Position in Wall. In walls with a finish of concrete, tile, or other noncombustible material, cabinets shall be installed so that the front edge of the cabinet is not set back of the finished surface more than 6 mm (1∕4 in.). In walls with a finish constructed of wood or other combustible material, cabinets shall be flush with the finished surface or project therefrom.

Cheers, Wayne

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
As I recall the CMP is concerned that sparks from a panelboard in a cabinet are more likely than from an outlet box. With a setback, even where the finish is of those types, there may still be wood framing and the gap between the face of the cabinet and the cover that is against the finished surface, those sparks could fall into the wall cavity.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
So just to be clear, if you install a (residential) panelboard/cabinet in a wood 2x4 wood wall, and set it out 1/2" from the framing for 1/2" gypsum board, and then 5/8" gypsum board gets installed, the CMP wants that to be a violation of 312.3? If so, then I suggest that the wording is too subtly different from 314.20; in the other thread where this came up, the comments were that 312.3 and 314.20 have the same meaning. So maybe something like this:

312.3 Position in Wall. In walls with a finish and construction of concrete, tile, or other noncombustible material, cabinets shall be installed so that the front edge of the cabinet is not set back of the finished surface more than 6 mm (1∕4 in.). In walls with a finish or construction constructed of wood or other combustible material, cabinets shall be flush with the finished surface or project therefrom.

Cheers, Wayne

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Yes, is a wood framed wall, the 1/8" setback is a violation of the language in 312.3.

The difference, as I see is is that the rule in 312 applies to both the construction and finish of the wall, where the rule in 314 only addresses the surface of the wall.

However your language does a better job of conveying that than does the current code language.

Status
Not open for further replies.