208v p-tac on 240v

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
wiz2007 said:
i have a single phase 208v p-tac that i was wondering if i could run it on a 240v residential service?
1. What's a p-tac?
2. Any specs, labels, documentation?
3. Manufacturer's help?

If not, you could always buck it down.

480sparky

Package Terminal Air Conditioner

CarrierPTAC.jpg

They use them in new motels.... under the window. Heater & AC. I've also installed them in sunrooms.

Does the unit have a 240v rating? If it's only got 208 on the label, then you can only install it with 208.

jbt260

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
wiz2007 said:
i have a single phase 208v p-tac that i was wondering if i could run it on a 240v residential service?

Only if it's rated for both voltages!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've been running a single phase 208 volt rated, fan driven, garage heater for years on 240-250 volts.

mdshunk

wiz2007 said:
Probably. The resistance heating element is the only reason they make some with a straight 208 rating. The compressor is exactly the same. If the dataplate says straight 208, the real answer is that you're not supposed to. The straight skinny from a guy who's worked on many of them is that it will be okay.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
benaround said:
Rob, You really should shut it off during the summer months !

Good one. ;) Actually the price on the heater was right, free, so I don't really care if it burns out. Point being that a 208 volt unit may operate at 240 volts. But IMO for a new installation the unit should have voltage rating that matches the system it's connected to.

Status
Not open for further replies.