208V single phase receptacle gfci

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Attached sketch 208V single phase 30A receptacle would it require gfci under NEC 2017? Its six feet of sink but as shown has wall corner

e0c55aca14fe663cbdbcff3beecca653.jpg

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Yes I know the code section but their is a wall corner 210.8(b)(5) is not clear
Read all of the words in the code section. The language is very clear as to the answer to your question.
210.8 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel.
Ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel shall be provided as required in 210.8(A) through (E). The ground-fault circuit interrupter shall be installed in a readily accessible location.

Informational Note No. 1: See 215.9 for ground-fault circuit interrupter protection for personnel on feeders.

Informational Note No. 2: See 422.5(A) for GFCI requirements for appliances.

For the purposes of this section, when determining distance from receptacles the distance shall be measured as the shortest path the cord of an appliance connected to the receptacle would follow without piercing a floor, wall, ceiling, or fixed barrier, or passing through a door, doorway, or window.[/quote]

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Where Don's quote shows it to be, at the beginning of 210.8, it's the second paragraph, before subpart (A).

It's important to read both the whole section you are dealing with, and the whole response of someone trying to help you.

Cheers, Wayne

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Where?

9a3f17e46249757efc66309397530412.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is why I said you have to read all of the words in the CODE SECTION, not just the words in a list item under a first level subdivision. All of the words are there for a purpose. The parent or charging text at the beginning of s section is very important as that parent text applies to all of the subdivisions and list items in the section.

Status
Not open for further replies.