208v to 240v Buck Boost Transformer Calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sahib

Sure, bring it on. :)
First that 1.5KVA is the rating of 2 winding transformer and not that of an auto transformer. But if that 2 winding transformer is made into an autotransformer, its KVA rating increases to around 10 times its original KVA resulting in a, say, 15 KVA auto transformer. Got it?

iwire

Staff member
First that 1.5KVA is the rating of 2 winding transformer and not that of an auto transformer. But if that 2 winding transformer is made into an autotransformer, its KVA rating increases to around 10 times its original KVA resulting in a, say, 15 KVA auto transformer. Got it?

You said you had proof.

Your own words are not proof.

mivey

Thank you for proving what I said. How about you actually draw the circuit, run the calcs, then look at what is actually happening in the windings and see what role the transformer plays in the complete circuit and the actual load in the transformer itself.

Think about what portion the transformer is actually "managing", for lack of a better word.

Good grief.:roll:

Sahib

mivey:
You need only look at the output and input leads of a transformer irrespective of the type of the transformer and apply energy conservation principle: The power that comes out must be nearly equal to the power going in.

mivey

mivey:
You need only look at the output and input leads of a transformer irrespective of the type of the transformer and apply energy conservation principle: The power that comes out must be nearly equal to the power going in.
I guess spoon-feeding is going to be the the route we take. Iwire was talking about the loading on the transformer. There is a difference between the transformer loading and the size of the load the autotransformer can manage. In this case, only about 10% of the site load acts as a load on the transformer. Iwire's statement that you emoti-laughed at is true. Now you should know how it works as well.

Sahib

I guess spoon-feeding is going to be the the route we take. Iwire was talking about the loading on the transformer. There is a difference between the transformer loading and the size of the load the autotransformer can manage. In this case, only about 10% of the site load acts as a load on the transformer. Iwire's statement that you emoti-laughed at is true. Now you should know how it works as well.
You are talking only about inductive transfer of power in an auto transformer and that causes your confusion. The autotransformer also handles transfer of power conductively and together forms the rating of the autotransformer.

mivey

You are talking only about inductive transfer of power in an auto transformer and that causes your confusion. The autotransformer also handles transfer of power conductively and together forms the rating of the autotransformer.
Iwire was talking about the transformer loading. Since the "w" word does not appear to be in your vocabulary, I'll leave you to your stubborness.

iwire

Staff member
How about you actually draw the circuit, run the calcs, then look at what is actually happening in the windings and see what role the transformer plays in the complete circuit and the actual load in the transformer itself.

Sahib, did you try this?

Sahib

iwire:
Do you get this or not?

iwire

Staff member
iwire:
Do you get this or not?

I saw it and I agree the kVA load on the source is roughly equal to kVA of the load.

And still the autotransformer is only being loaded to less than 1.5 kVA

Have you done what mivey suggested about examining the circuit?

I can't, I don't know how, but you are an engineer and should have no problem drawing the circuit and examining it.

Sahib

the kVA load on the source is roughly equal to kVA of the load.

And still the autotransformer is only being loaded to less than 1.5 kVA

The green is correct and the red is wrong because the entire power flows through the autotransformer. Think over it and you may get it one day.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.