20A circuit for dedicated T-shaped neutral GFCI duplex receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

victor.cherkashi

May I use 20A branch circuit for dedicated GFCI duplex receptacle in pantry? GFCI receptacle is 5-20R has T-shaped neutral hole to accept both 5-15P and 5-20P plugs. It is general purpose on counter receptacle.

I know that NEC-2017 210.23 permits use of 20A branch circuit for two or more 5-15R receptacle, but about the situation I described above?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The situation you describe is perfectly normal. Yes you can do this. 210.22 and 210.23 and the tables just below them are your references.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Sure. 20A dedicated circuit, 20A 5-20R receptacle. Now find something with a 5-20P plug on it. :D That's why you would normally just use a 5-15R. Lots of guys use 5-20Rs and if you ask them what a homeowner would have that has a 5-20P plug on it they can't tell you. Lots of commercial stuff though.

-Hal

victor.cherkashi

The situation you describe is perfectly normal. Yes you can do this. 210.22 and 210.23 and the tables just below them are your references.

Probably my described situation fit into 210.22 definition, probably the paragraph also apply for receptacles.
My described situation doesn't fit into 210.23 and 210.24 since I have single outlet (single duplex). 210.23 and 210.24 are saying two or more ...

210.23 "A branch circuit supplying two or more outlets or receptacles ..."
210.24 "The requirements for circuits that have two or more outlets or receptacles ..."

victor.cherkashi

Sure. 20A dedicated circuit, 20A 5-20R receptacle. Now find something with a 5-20P plug on it. :D That's why you would normally just use a 5-15R. Lots of guys use 5-20Rs and if you ask them what a homeowner would have that has a 5-20P plug on it they can't tell you. Lots of commercial stuff though.

-Hal

This is why we're asking to install 5-20R GFCI with T-shaped neutral hole. in this case you can also plug 15A receptacles. Some coffee-makers in office spaces have 20A cord plug. I was not sure if this receptacle can be served by dedicated 20A circuit.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Probably my described situation fit into 210.22 definition, probably the paragraph also apply for receptacles.
My described situation doesn't fit into 210.23 and 210.24 since I have single outlet (single duplex). 210.23 and 210.24 are saying two or more ...

210.23 "A branch circuit supplying two or more outlets or receptacles ..."
210.24 "The requirements for circuits that have two or more outlets or receptacles ..."

A single duplex is two receptacles (as in "two or more...")

This is why we're asking to install 5-20R GFCI with T-shaped neutral hole. in this case you can also plug 15A receptacles. Some coffee-makers in office spaces have 20A cord plug. I was not sure if this receptacle can be served by dedicated 20A circuit.

You could install a 5-15R GFCI duplex on a dedicated 20A circuit if you wanted to.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College

-Hal

I have a plug-in 'window' air conditioner with a 20-amp plug. Can't tell you the number at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.