20A receptacle on MWBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelec

Is it a violation to have two 20a receptacles on a 20a MWBC
dca37fbb02d56e7d6708a8ff92247381.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

nickelec

No, but it is against the rules to have ethernet cables hanging sideways without proper support.

:p
Correct me if I'm wrong but, it is a violation to have multiple 20a receptacles on a 20a branch circuit.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Correct me if I'm wrong but, it is a violation to have multiple 20a receptacles on a 20a branch circuit.

You are hereby corrected. A single receptacle on a 20a circuit requires a 20a receptacle, but not limited to just one.

Multiple 15a receptacles on a 20a circuit is an exception, if that's what you're thinking.

nickelec

That I know it's done all the time, can you have multiple 20a receptacles on a 20a branch. Ckt

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

So, if that were true you couldn't put multiple 15A recepts on a typical 15 amp residential circuit either.

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That I know it's done all the time, can you have multiple 20a receptacles on a 20a branch. Ckt

Larry answered you. You can have multiple 20 amp receptacles on a 20 amp circuit. I am not sure what a multiwire circuit has to do with the question.

Look at any commercial job--- 20 amp receptacles on a 20 amp circuit all over. Do you think each receptacle has a separate circuit? Of course not.

kwired

Electron manager
You could have a single duplex with the connecting tab between them broke off and put each half on different half of the MWBC.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We once wired a government-subsidized apartment rebuild, and every circuit was 12g NM on 20a circuits with all 20a receptacles.

kwired

Electron manager
I wonder what they think is going to have 20A plugs on it? I always laugh when I see 20A receptacles in residential. What for?

-Hal

Even non residential, most anything that will have a 20 amp plug is something you probably want to run an individual circuit to and seems somewhat pointless to use 20 amp receptacles on multioutlet circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.