20A to 30A extension cord

Status
Not open for further replies.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
5-15P to L14-30

5-15P to L14-30

I've occasionally wired up a 5-15P to L14-30R adapter, to enable a small 120-volt-only standby generator to power a "whole" house. You obviously can't power everything but every outlet is live and you can run the essential loads -- television, video games, Internet and phone chargers; plus maybe a refrigerator and gas furnace -- and a few lights and small appliances.

KaBoom!

Inactive, Email Never Verified
I've occasionally wired up a 5-15P to L14-30R adapter, to enable a small 120-volt-only standby generator to power a "whole" house. You obviously can't power everything but every outlet is live and you can run the essential loads -- television, video games, Internet and phone chargers; plus maybe a refrigerator and gas furnace -- and a few lights and small appliances.
I do this all the time when installing portable generator connections for people who currently have a 120V <20V generator.

I still install the 120/240V 30A system on their house so they are setup for it if they upgrade their generator, I just give them an adapter so that they can use their current smaller generator. Some of my customer have 2 generators, a big one for during the day and a small 120V inverter model to chug along during the night.

Craigv

I do this all the time when installing portable generator connections for people who currently have a 120V <20V generator.

I still install the 120/240V 30A system on their house so they are setup for it if they upgrade their generator, I just give them an adapter so that they can use their current smaller generator. Some of my customer have 2 generators, a big one for during the day and a small 120V inverter model to chug along during the night.

These adapters are safe...you can't create a situation where the conductors have insufficient OCPD protection, or supplying the wrong voltage to a device.

KaBoom!

Inactive, Email Never Verified
These adapters are safe...you can't create a situation where the conductors have insufficient OCPD protection, or supplying the wrong voltage to a device.
There is one thing that may be unsafe about them. Any MWBC in the panel can theoretically have an overloaded neutral due to the hots being the same phase/leg. But in this situation there is very little power being used and the generators are not capably of producing that much power in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.