210.21(B)(3)Clarification/ Thoughts on 2020/2023 change

NEC_NERD

Occupation
Electrician
Just wondering what everyone thinks about this slight change in verbiage. Pics posted below for code refrence(s). It seems some are a bit confused by this change, and are stating now that a 20amp receptacle can be used on a 15amp Branch circuit. Thoughts? Screenshot_20240311_172915_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20240311_173004_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20240311_172931_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20240311_173601_Chrome.jpg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
They merely changed the wording because the earlier code versions made it sound like you could only use the value in the table. Now it tells you that the value is a minimum value.

2020:
210.21(B)(3) Receptacle Ratings.
Where connected to a branch circuit supplying two or more receptacles or outlets, receptacle ratings shall conform to the values listed in Table 210.21(B)(3), or, where rated higher than 50 amperes, the receptacle rating shall not be less than the branch-circuit rating.

2023:
210.21(B)(3) Receptacle Ratings.
Where connected to a branch circuit supplying two or more receptacles or outlets, receptacle ratings shall not be less than the values listed in Table 210.21(B)(3), or, where rated higher than 50 amperes, the receptacle rating shall not be less than the branch-circuit rating.

NEC_NERD

Occupation
Electrician
They merely changed the wording because the earlier code versions made it sound like you could only use the value in the table. Now it tells you that the value is a minimum value.
So the use of a 20amp receptacle and 20amp equipment on a 15 amp branch circuit is ok? WE'RE simply relying on the OCPD? This is where I think they made it too ambiguous. Relying on OCPD and the intelligence of layman to know not to do as said above? Seems like an exercise in futility.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So the use of a 20amp receptacle and 20amp equipment on a 15 amp branch circuit is ok? WE'RE simply relying on the OCPD? This is where I think they made it too ambiguous. Relying on OCPD and the intelligence of layman to know not to do as said above? Seems like an exercise in futility.
I'm unsure why this was changed. Maybe someone can post the PI that added the "not less than" words.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
So the use of a 20amp receptacle and 20amp equipment on a 15 amp branch circuit is ok?
It's worse than that! You can't put one 20A receptacle on a 15A circuit, but you can put two. You can also put two 30A receptacles on a 15A circuit or three 40A receptacles (if such an animal exists) on a 15A circuit. I really don't think this is worded the way it was intended.

NEC_NERD

Occupation
Electrician
It's worse than that! You can't put one 20A receptacle on a 15A circuit, but you can put two. You can also put two 30A receptacles on a 15A circuit or three 40A receptacles (if such an animal exists) on a 15A circuit. I really don't think this is worded the way it was intended.
Thank you, this is entirely my point. The ambiguity in the new wording allows for such scenarios. I don't believe this was the intent at all. I'd love to see the "minutes" of the panel meeting(s) regarding this change in verbiage. Are there any members who sit on CMP-2?

Attachments

• 20240311_190852.jpg
    20240311_190852.jpg
    860.6 KB · Views: 2

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
I'm unsure why this was changed. Maybe someone can post the PI that added the "not less than" words.
Sure, the first draft info is below.

The committee statement doesn't even address the change from "conform" to "not less than". It was as if they viewed "conform" as meaning "not less than" all along.

Cheers, Wayne

Public Input No. 438-NFPA 70-2020 [ Section No. 210.21(B)(3) ]

Statement of Problem and Substantiation for Public Input

The proposed revision is being done for clarity. Section 210.21(B)(3) provides requirements for placing two or more receptacles on one branch circuit. The title to Table 210.21(B)(3) seems to indicate that it provides requirements for a single receptacle installed on a single branch circuit. Changing the title to the Table will accurately reflect that the table only applies to multiple receptacles installed on one circuit.

Second, an installer could install one single 30 amp receptacle on a 15 amp circuit. There are no requirements against that. However, the table indicates that multiple 30 amp receptacles can only be installed on a 30 amp circuit only. The changes to the first paragraph will clarify that you can install multiple receptacles of a higher ampacity on a lower rated circuit since it is protected by an overcurrent device.

Committee Statement
Resolution: FR-9099-NFPA 70-2021
Statement: The text in the table has been modified to match existing receptacles that are available. The title of the table has been changed to make it clear that this table applies to circuits with more than one receptacle or receptacle outlet as the parent language of the table states

NEC_NERD

Occupation
Electrician
Sure, the first draft info is below.

The committee statement doesn't even address the change from "conform" to "not less than". It was as if they viewed "conform" as meaning "not less than" all along.

Cheers, Wayne

Public Input No. 438-NFPA 70-2020 [ Section No. 210.21(B)(3) ]

Statement of Problem and Substantiation for Public Input

The proposed revision is being done for clarity. Section 210.21(B)(3) provides requirements for placing two or more receptacles on one branch circuit. The title to Table 210.21(B)(3) seems to indicate that it provides requirements for a single receptacle installed on a single branch circuit. Changing the title to the Table will accurately reflect that the table only applies to multiple receptacles installed on one circuit.

Second, an installer could install one single 30 amp receptacle on a 15 amp circuit. There are no requirements against that. However, the table indicates that multiple 30 amp receptacles can only be installed on a 30 amp circuit only. The changes to the first paragraph will clarify that you can install multiple receptacles of a higher ampacity on a lower rated circuit since it is protected by an overcurrent device.

Committee Statement
Resolution: FR-9099-NFPA 70-2021
Statement: The text in the table has been modified to match existing receptacles that are available. The title of the table has been changed to make it clear that this table applies to circuits with more than one receptacle or receptacle outlet as the parent language of the table states
Care to cite the source?

NEC_NERD

Occupation
Electrician
I did. Public Input No. 438-NFPA 70-2020. Available at nfpa.org/70. Scroll down to "First Draft Report" under 2023 NEC. A free account is required.

Cheers, Wayne
Feel free to post a screen of it...I can't find anything in regards to "Public Input No. 438-NFPA 70-2020" despite being a paid member.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Feel free to post a screen of it...I can't find anything in regards to "Public Input No. 438-NFPA 70-2020" despite being a paid member.
Other than the proposed change itself, I posted all the information about "Public Input No. 438-NFPA 70-2020" there is. I just checked the Second Draft, there were no relevant Public Comments.

But to find that information on nfpa.org, go to nfpa.org/70, and then hit ctrl-f to search, and enter the string "first draft". That will take you to the part of the page where you can "view" the first draft. Then go to 210.21(B)(3) in TerraView.

The above only works without an extra step because the current NEC is the 2023 NEC. For other versions of the NEC, you'll need to select the Edition first, which selection is near the top of the page, just after "Purchase Options" and "Ask A Technical Question."

Cheers, Wayne

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Go to www.nfpa.org/70, select the 2023 edition, scroll down to "archived revision information", then "first draft" and click on "view". That will open "terraview" and use the index on the left side to get to the section you want. In this case, 210.21(B)(3). Click on the "PIs" to read them or on the "FR" to see the panel action and statement for the change.
1710263528560.png