210.25(C)(5) in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumper

I was browsing the 2011 online and saw this.
Untitled.png

It was not in the draft. I wonder what they are talking about?

What assemblies are listed for this app?

gndrod

counter top outlet

counter top outlet

I was browsing the 2011 online and saw this.
Untitled.png

It was not in the draft. I wonder what they are talking about?

What assemblies are listed for this app?

I believe this covers recessed receptacles flush with countertop that are UL listed.

jumper

I believe this covers recessed receptacles flush with countertop that are UL listed.

That is what got me curious. What device is UL listed for a counter top receptacle ,flush mounted - not the back splash - that does not violate this:

406.4(E) Receptacles in Countertops and Similar Work Surfaces
in Dwelling Units. Receptacles shall not be installed in
a face-up position in countertops or similar work surfaces.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Derek there are a few receptacles out there that are listed for kitchen counters. Here is one, I believe. At least you'll get the idea.

elecgrommet.jpg

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
There were two opportunities for change after the draft was published, not counting any appeals. The first was in the comment stage and the second was a floor motion.

One of my changes was rejected in the proposal stage, accepted in the comment stage, and voted out on a floor motion.

jumper

Derek there are a few receptacles out there that are listed for kitchen counters. Here is one, I believe. At least you'll get the idea.

elecgrommet.jpg

Dennis, I have seen those in other posts, my question is why is the allowance in the required location section.

I thought it was decided that those can be installed, yet the hardwired receptacle was still necessary.

The sentence implies that there are products available that meet the location requirement, yet do not violate the face up rule.

I am probably over thinking this.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There are direct wired units available. I guess this section just clarifies that this install is okay if the product is listed for kitchen counters. I have seen some that are listed that way-- They are gasketed so water does not enter the unit and are hardwired as well.

I guess I am confused by your question. I think the change in the code is in the correct section- where would you want to see it. The pop up units out there meet the req. for installation in counters since the recep. don't face up.

Status
Not open for further replies.