210.6(C) - Voltage Limitations

Status
Not open for further replies.

I-learns

Occupation
Student
210.6A limits voltage to a maximum of 120 volts between conductors to circuits that supply luminaires. Luminaires are defined to be basically any light fixture. Dwelling unit is defined as a location with permanent living, sleeping, cooking, and sanitation.

In 2010, I worked on college dormitories that meet the definition of dwelling unit and have 277V fluorescent fixtures as main overhead lighting. How are they doing this? Is it just that they are deciding not to follow the code, since they are state institutions?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
210.6A limits voltage to a maximum of 120 volts between conductors to circuits that supply luminaires. Luminaires are defined to be basically any light fixture. Dwelling unit is defined as a location with permanent living, sleeping, cooking, and sanitation.

In 2010, I worked on college dormitories that meet the definition of dwelling unit and have 277V fluorescent fixtures as main overhead lighting. How are they doing this? Is it just that they are deciding not to follow the code, since they are state institutions?
Were they really dwelling units? Did they have two 20 amp small appliance branch circuits? Did they have AFCIs?

What was the permanent cooking equipment?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Key questions IMO. Many college units press the issue on this.
Many are like hotel rooms that have a sink, refrigerator, countertop and microwave and we don't call them dwelling units. If it has all of those plus a stove top, then it would become a dwelling unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.