210.60 Receptacle Placement in Dorms

cppoly

210.60 sends you to 210.52(A) for placing receptacles but allows adjustments based upon permanently installed furniture.

Does 210.60 allow me to forgo placing a receptacle within 6'-0" of a door (regardless of whether there's furniture there) just as long as a I meet the minimum receptacle required in 210.52(A)?

OR

Does 210.60 only give allowances if there's an issue with meeting the 6 foot / 12 foot rule because of furniture?

Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The way I read it is that you must follow the general rule of 6' ...12', however if one receptacle is behind a piece of furniture then that outlet would comply with the spacing as long as there are at least 2 outlets not behind any furniture

cppoly

Thanks Dennis. I'm having a hard time with this one. I searched through this forum and read all 210.60(B) posts.

The part that bothers me is that the wording in this section is really not clear. Long story short, everyone has an opinion on 210.60(B) and they're all different.

Here's the wording 210.60(B):

"The total number of receptacle outlets shall not be less than required in 210.52(A). These receptacle outlets shall be permitted to be located conveniently for permanent furniture layout. At least two receptacle outlets shall be readily accessible. Where receptacles are installed behind the bed, the receptacle shall be located to prevent the bed from contacting any attachment plug that may be installed or the receptacle shall be provided with a suitable guard."

From the previous posts, some people are hanging their hat of the opinion that as long as you meet the minimum quantity of receptacles required in 210.52(A), then you don't have to adhere to the 6' / 12' receptacle spacing rules in dormitories, regardless of whether or not permanent furniture is installed at the locations requiring a receptacle. I don't interpret 210.60(B) that way but I can understand why some people are thinking that because this section is not clear. But using this logic, 6 duplex receptacles can all be installed within 24" of wall space and still meet the requirements in 210.60(B) - regardless of furniture placement?? This part makes no sense to me.

I'm of the opinion that 210.60(B) simply means that if you have permanent furniture blocking the 6' / 12' receptacle placement requirements in 210.52(A), then it gives you the allowances to adjust as necessary.

What exactly is the intent of 210.60(B) and why can't this section be written better.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Thanks Dennis. I'm having a hard time with this one. I searched through this forum and read all 210.60(B) posts.

The part that bothers me is that the wording in this section is really not clear. Long story short, everyone has an opinion on 210.60(B) and they're all different.

Here's the wording 210.60(B):

"The total number of receptacle outlets shall not be less than required in 210.52(A). These receptacle outlets shall be permitted to be located conveniently for permanent furniture layout. At least two receptacle outlets shall be readily accessible. Where receptacles are installed behind the bed, the receptacle shall be located to prevent the bed from contacting any attachment plug that may be installed or the receptacle shall be provided with a suitable guard."

From the previous posts, some people are hanging their hat of the opinion that as long as you meet the minimum quantity of receptacles required in 210.52(A), then you don't have to adhere to the 6' / 12' receptacle spacing rules in dormitories, regardless of whether or not permanent furniture is installed at the locations requiring a receptacle. I don't interpret 210.60(B) that way but I can understand why some people are thinking that because this section is not clear. But using this logic, 6 duplex receptacles can all be installed within 24" of wall space and still meet the requirements in 210.60(B) - regardless of furniture placement?? This part makes no sense to me.

I'm of the opinion that 210.60(B) simply means that if you have permanent furniture blocking the 6' / 12' receptacle placement requirements in 210.52(A), then it gives you the allowances to adjust as necessary.

What exactly is the intent of 210.60(B) and why can't this section be written better.
That is not correct, the 6/12' rule applies unless there is permanently installed furniture that cannot be relocated by the occupants.

cppoly

Thanks Don!

Looking at the NEC handbook, it is interesting that the graphic in 210.60(B) does not show receptacles on the 2' wall section or the wall section by the entry door even though no permanent furniture is located at these locations. It seems like this graphic is ignoring / downplaying the 6/12' rule required in 210.52(A). Thoughts?

210.60(B).png

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Looking at the NEC handbook, it is interesting that the graphic in 210.60(B) does not show receptacles on the 2' wall section or the wall section by the entry door even though no permanent furniture is located at these locations. It seems like this graphic is ignoring / downplaying the 6/12' rule required in 210.52(A). Thoughts?
That graphic shows wall lengths, not receptacle spacing, so it's not really ignoring the 2' wall. You would start at the closet door opening and must hit a receptacle within 6' of wall length. The next receptacle must be within 12' of the first one. Inside and outside corners don't change that.

The last receptacle must be within 6' of whatever interrupts the continuous wall length. Once you have established the continuous wall length and minimum receptacle count, you can adjust the spacing for more practical use or better coverage. You can always add one or more if you like.

retirede

Thanks Don!

View attachment 2569281

I don’t see any wall space that could not be served by the number of receptacles shown (if spaced properly) and satisfy the 6/12 requirement.

cppoly

When you first enter the room, the wall immediately on the left. Which receptacle is covering this area? Am I missing something??

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
When you first enter the room, the wall immediately on the left. Which receptacle is covering this area? Am I missing something??
The long adjacent wall is only 8' long with the receptacle at 4'. 6' from that receptacle includes the 2' wall.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I think he means that short wall behind the door. It isn't clear in the diagram if that wall is shorter than 2' so it doesn't have to be counted, or if it is longer than that. To my eye it looks a bit longer than that segment that is marked as 2'. Maybe that area is considered a hallway so it is exempt?

retirede

Since it’s not dimensioned, it’s logical to presume that wall is less than 2’.

Also, if you consider that part a hallway, if it’s small enough, no receptacle required. No code book handy to cite reference.

cppoly

Well the section of wall immediately on the left after the door is definitely depicted larger than the 2' section of wall that's dimensioned. I agree that if it's considered a hallway a receptacle wouldn't be required since it's less than 10'-0" per 210.52(H).

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
The long adjacent wall is only 8' long with the receptacle at 4'. 6' from that receptacle includes the 2' wall.
That helps, since bathtubs are =>5ft long, 6ft from that receptacle should follow exterior walls of sink 3'+2' & closet + 2' = ~7ft
1703731513981.png

ramsy

Occupation
if it's considered a hallway a receptacle wouldn't be required since it's less than 10'-0" per 210.52(H).
Doors opening into dwellings should be 210.52(I) Foyers, before they are considered (H) Hallways

ramsy

Occupation
Why count the 2' twice? I see it as 5' from opening to receptacle.
Considering coat hangers are =>17 inches wide, that exterior closet wall + folding doors = at least 2ft, but not counted if considered a 210.52(I) Foyer.

Last edited:

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
That is not correct, the 6/12' rule applies unless there is permanently installed furniture that cannot be relocated by the occupants.
Before pulling out the code book, I was ready to say, "That isn't what the cited code says." Which is true but, as with many code sections one must open the code first. The OP failed to quote all pertinent sections 210.60(A) states:
"Guest rooms or guest suites in hotels, motels,
sleeping rooms in dormitories, and similar occupancies shall
have receptacle outlets installed in accordance with 210.52(A)
and (D)."

210.52(A) is where the 6/12 spacing comes from.