210.8(A)(3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan_618

Change exception to 210.8(A)(3) to:

Exception: Receptacles that are not readily accessible and are supplied by an individual branch circuit for electric snow melting.....

Substantiation:

The term "individual branch circuit" is a defined term in article 100. The term "dedicated branch circuit" is not a defined term. If we have two terms that mean the same thing, the defined term should be the used.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Re: 210.8(A)(3)

I like this one. It, definitely meets my personal idiosyncrasies about how Code text should be developed.

bphgravity

How can multiple receptacles be served by an individual circuit, per the definition?

For example, I have two snow melting machines. One plugs in the front, the other in the back. Both receptalces are one the same circit. This is more than "one utilization" quipment, isn't it?

I have lots of experience with snow equipment here in Florida! ;)

charlie

Ryan, I have heard that complaint before. Perhaps you can develop a definition for a "dedicated branch circuit".Something along the lines of a branch circuit for only one type of loads regardless of the number of receptacle outlets. :D

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I'm curious why the exception for snow melting equipment. Do they tend to have leakage current? If so, would it not be safer to require they be hardwired rather than allowing a non-GFCI outlet outside?

websparky

Typically "snow melting equipment" is "heat trace" or "heat tape" that is installed in a rain gutter and/or downspout to prevent it from freezing solid during the winter months. The receptacles are often mounted high enough where people can not reach them without a ladder.

hurk27

petersonra This has nothing to do with a GFCI as 426.28 requires GFP protection anyway. It has to do with the wording of the code that gives a mis intention of what a dedicated circuit is. And I have the same thought as when I here dedicated I think single circuit supplying only a single load. and with this use of the word seems to apply that a dedicated circuit can be like any other circuit that is supplying multiple receptacle outlets which I think is also is wrong.
A single circuit supplying a single receptacle or load is a dedicated circuit to me. As it is "dedicated" to that load only.

hurk27

I just ran a search in the "2002" on "Dedicated circuit" and it only shows up 4 times:

220.31(A)(4)
220.31(B)(4)
690.64(B)(1)
692.65(B)(1)

And "Dedicated branch circuit" Which shows up 3 times:
210.8(A)(3) Exception Which this change would have to apply to both of these:
210.8(B)(2) Exception
620.22(B)

What I see is a confusion of which terminology is use for each instance of the words. and the use of other words in the same context that would confuse the reader into thinking that they have a different meaning or definition.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer

Clarification time. What is the consensus? Is "dedicated" a safety related issue critical to the receptacles only or to the branch circuit as a whole?

And remember, in this case I'm not asking what the Code says or even means; I'm asking what we think it should mean.

kiloamp7

I have always thought of a dedicated branch circuit as a single circuit supplying just one single receptacle, or just one duplex receptacle, or just one load.

Status
Not open for further replies.