210.8(B)(5) and floor sinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

raider1

Staff member
I got asked an interesting question and the NEC seems a little vague on the answer.

Does a receptacle installed within 6' of the edge of a floor sink need to be GFCI protected?

A floor sink does not have a specific faucet that supplies it but receives the discharge from things like a 3 compartment sink or a drink machine. So in essence a floor sink is a large deep floor drain.

The question was asked in regards to a waitress station that is not in the kitchen but has a drink dispenser next to a floor sink.

So I guess my question would be does anyone feel that 210.8(B)(5) requires receptacles installed within 6' of a floor sink to be GFCI protected?

Chris

raider1

Staff member
IMHO, GFI not required. A floor sink to me, is a big drain. I can't find any definitions in the IPC for floor sink, sink, or lav for that matter.

There is no definition of floor sink in the IPC but Section 427 is Titled "Floor Sinks" and section 427.1 requires sanitary floors sinks to conform to the requirements of ASME A112.6.7.

So floor sinks are mentioned in the IPC.

I do agree that a floor sink is really just a big drain.

Chris

rcarroll

There is no definition of floor sink in the IPC but Section 427 is Titled "Floor Sinks" and section 427.1 requires sanitary floors sinks to conform to the requirements of ASME A112.6.7.

So floor sinks are mentioned in the IPC.

I do agree that a floor sink is really just a big drain.

Chris
Yep, but I still believe asking for GFI is pushing the envelope. Just 'cuz of the word "sink". :)

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
In my opinion, the floor sink would normally have a cover over it that would keep electric appliances from falling in the water. So i would also say not required.

But I might be tempted to GFCI protect a waitress station anyway. It can get fairly wet around the drink machines.

Steve

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
Yep, but I still believe asking for GFI is pushing the envelope. Just 'cuz of the word "sink". :)

I am with you it is called sink. On the contrary if the only determinig factor of GFI is a faucet then I would asy no. But the code specifies sink regardless if weather it has a water supply or not.

JMHO

mikeames

Occupation
I would also see a floor sink as a drain. No GFI.

Although I do see your point I respectfully disagree. I would not call a floor drain in a garage a sink.

My definiton of a sink would be a basin that can collect and hold water, regardless if it has a faucet.

mikeames

Occupation
Are you talking about somethign like the following

floor-sinks-fd-2377.jpg

or
1181863154052503449S500x500Q85.jpg

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I would agree that it is not required. Like I said in the other thread, I think that section is very well written. Remeber we didn't require them around wet bar sinks or laundry sinks for a long time, because it didn't call for them there.

Those that were trying to get them always used the argument that a sink is a sink.

e57

Not trying to be contrary - But I say yes...

Two reasons:
  1. The NEC does not mention height of the sink or basin... Unlike a drain - a basin collects water and large enough to submerge a foot into when using say a corded tool like a floor polisher....
  2. A floor sink is used as indirect drainage for an actual sink in most (90%) cases like restaurants etc. Which may or may not be installed, but see #1 again.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
In a residential application then yes. 210.(A)(7) Note utility.

Now (B)(7) is less clear.

Since the building code does not define a sink we need to use our judgement.

"a stationary basin connected with a drain and usually a water supply for washing and drainage"

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck then it is a duck.

M. D.

I got asked an interesting question and the NEC seems a little vague on the answer.

Does a receptacle installed within 6' of the edge of a floor sink need to be GFCI protected?..........

........The question was asked in regards to a waitress station that is not in the kitchen but has a drink dispenser next to a floor sink.

So I guess my question would be does anyone feel that 210.8(B)(5) requires receptacles installed within 6' of a floor sink to be GFCI protected?

Chris

This is a good question ,.. I'm going with it is a sink.

Now what is the purpose of a floor sink ??

M. D.

This is an image of a floor sink ,.. sure looks like a sink ...

zurn-fd2375-pic.jpg

But this is also an image of a floor sink ,.. looks like a drain ... So I'll go with not required even though these things are sinks ,... they are not Laundry ,utility or the wet bar type

http://www.josam.com/catalog/JOS/line/FS

p49340a.gif

raider1

Staff member
Thanks everyone.:)

The purpose of the floor sink is to catch the discharge from a drink dispenser.

IMHO this does not require GFCI protection but I wanted to get others opinions.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.