210.8 B2 and restaurants

Status
Not open for further replies.

dm9289

Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Occupation
Industrial process repair/ maintenance Electrician
I’m a little confused in restaurant requirements regarding GFCI.
B. Other than dwelling kitchens- does this translate too all outlets in food prep area sink or not requires GFCI that’s how I read it.

As for appliances say electric or gas fryers with electronics. Do these require GFCI?
How about the ovens?

Thanks

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Everything within the kitchen has to be GFCI protected. That includes the gas fryer receptacles, and the food prep areas. If I use shunt-trip breakers on the gas fryers instead of a hood control panel, I’ll put a dead-front GFCI in an adjacent wall with an engraved cover identifying what it’s for.

Any equipment that plugs in requires gfci per those listed in the code. If it’s 3-phase, anything 100A or less and 150v to ground, and single phase is 50A or less, and 125-250v.

If you have 3-phase, Square D is the only manufacturer that offers 3-pole GFCI’s in a miniature breaker up to 50A. They have some GFCI modules for PowerPact breakers for the 60A-100A loads; those modules are about $2k each. That one goes up to 150A, and they do offer a 250A version as well.

Littlefuse makes a contactor with CT’s connected to a GFCI module. The 60A is $2k, the 100A is $5k.

North Shore Safety has a 60/3 GFCI contactor module that’s $1500.

Bender is another company that makes 60A and 100A GFCI contactors, but they’re more expensive than the Littlefuse brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dm9289

Occupation
Thanks for your reply. Wow those prices are nuts for 3 phase

dm9289

Occupation
Everything within the kitchen has to be GFCI protected. That includes the gas fryer receptacles, and the food prep areas. If I use shunt-trip breakers on the gas fryers instead of a hood control panel, I’ll put a dead-front GFCI in an adjacent wall with an engraved cover identifying what it’s for.

Any equipment that plugs in requires gfci per those listed in the code. If it’s 3-phase, anything 100A or less and 150v to ground, and single phase is 50A or less, and 125-250v.

If you have 3-phase, Square D is the only manufacturer that offers 3-pole GFCI’s in a miniature breaker up to 50A. They have some GFCI modules for PowerPact breakers for the 60A-100A loads; those modules are about $2k each. That one goes up to 150A, and they do offer a 250A version as well.

Littlefuse makes a contactor with CT’s connected to a GFCI module. The 60A is $2k, the 100A is $5k.

North Shore Safety has a 60/3 GFCI contactor module that’s $1500.

Bender is another company that makes 60A and 100A GFCI contactors, but they’re more expensive than the Littlefuse brand.

If you had a direct wired range hood would that require GFCI?
IMO no

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
One of the chicken restaurants we build a lot of switched to a 70A plug-in electric fryer a couple of years ago. They just decided to go back to gas. The receptacle and cord cap alone add up to $1200 per fryer, and a total of six fryers.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
If you had a direct wired range hood would that require GFCI?
IMO no

A hard-wired appliance does not require a gfci, and that’s what most restaurants are opting for on anything above 50A.

I just priced a few jobs for a hamburger joint that’s expanding in the southeast and they want all of their 70A griddles hard-wired to avoid the cost of the gfci.

dm9289

Occupation
A hard-wired appliance does not require a gfci, and that’s what most restaurants are opting for on anything above 50A.

I just priced a few jobs for a hamburger joint that’s expanding in the southeast and they want all of their 70A griddles hard-wired to avoid the cost of the gfci.

Yes I can imagine many chains will do that. Thanks for sharing your experience

Status
Not open for further replies.