215.2(A)(1)(a) [125% ampacity for continuous loads]--Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
215.2(A)(1)(a) calls for the conductors supplying a continuous load to have an ampacity increased beyond the actual load current by 25% of the continuous load current. [And 210.19(A)(1)(a) is similar.] Why is this requirement part of the NEC?

The limitation is entirely due to the behavior of OCPD; apparently for continuous loads regular OCPD may trip at below the nameplate rating, and so to avoid this nuisance (that could turn into a safety hazard if a user repeatedly resets a tripping breaker), the OCPD should be upsized by 25% of the continuous load current.

However, that is already covered in 215.3. And 240.4 already requires conductors to be protected in accordance with their ampacities. So the requirement of 215.2(A)(1)(a) is generally a logical consequence of 215.3 and 240.4, and at best redundant. But 215.2(A)(1)(a) prevents the use of 240.4(B) [next size up rule] to comply with 215.3.

Real world example: an EVSE with a 48A output current (e.g. Tesla Wall Connector with the proper internal setting) is a continuous load, so the OCPD protecting it should be 60A. #6 NM cable has an ampacity of 55A because it is limited to the 60C rating. 240.4(B) allows protecting this with a 60A breaker [when 55A ampacity is otherwise sufficient per other sections of the NEC.]

So what is the hazard of supplying a 48A continuous load with cable with an ampacity of 55A that is judged sufficiently well protected by a 60A breaker when the load is non-continuous? I don't see any.

Thus I would preliminarily propose that 215.2(A)(1)(a) should be deleted and replaced with a fine print note to 215.3 and 240.4. [With an according change to Article 210.] I don't see any other consequences, but perhaps I am missing the logical interplay of some other rules.

Comments?

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
The ampacity values already cover that, without any 125% factor for continuous loads. From 2017 Article 100:

Ampacity The maximum current, in amperes, that a conductor can carry continuously under the conditions of use without exceeding its temperature rating.

So the 125% is only about the OCPD behavior. Which is why there are exceptions when the OCPD is 100% rated--that shows the conductors themselves can handle it.

Cheers, Wayne

kwired

Electron manager
It's all based on avoiding insulation damage from heat.
Actually I think it is about termination temperature rating.

The 125% doesn't apply to adjustments to conductors in a raceway, just the actual load does.

Multioutlet circuits however need to have ampacity of the branch circuit overcurrent device, but the small conductor rule also pretty common to need to apply to these circuits, without it many those small conductors could be even smaller.

JEFF MILLAR

It is based on thermal loading limitations. The resistance of copper conductors causes heat to build up when current is passed through the conductor. This is why we have ampacity derating factors and why equipment terminals are rated at 75 C max.

Power cables installed in cable trays and in underground duct banks are subjected to very large ampacity derating factors.

If you are questioning the logic in this subject you obviously have a lot to learn about how power cables are properly sized .

This forum is an excellent learning place.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
I don't believe anyone has addressed my original question--it's not "why is there a 125% factor for continuous loads?"

The question is how the 125% factor should interact with 240.4(B), and whether the example I gave is prohibited intentionally, or by accident due to the way the 125% factor is codified in multiple places.

Cheers, Wayne

kwired

Electron manager
I once had it explained to me in a CEU class by a lesser known but a person that basically does similar things Mike Holt does, for whatever that is worth.

He explained it that standard overcurrent devices are intentionally designed to use the attached conductors as a heat sink for at least a portion of the heat created within the OCPD, and that is the main reason there is the 125% requirement for conductors. 100% devices designed differently from thermal management perspective.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Sounds like you didn't read my last post--I'm not asking why there is a 125% factor. Maybe my thread subject is misleading and I should repost with a different subject.

Cheers, Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.