220.14 (I) - Max. Number of Receps in a 20A circuit ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elec_eng

Does 220.14(I) limit the number of receptacles you can have in a 20A circuit? You can't have more than 10 receptacles in a 20A circuit (1920/180 = 10.6) per this section?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is this a dwelling unit circuit? For a 20 amp commercial circuit the calculation would be 2400/180=13.3

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am not very adept at doing searches on this forum. :happysad: Could someone please look up the previous debate on this question, so that I don't have to explain again why I disagree (i.e., that 220 tells us how to allow for the branch circuit load within the service or feeder load, but does not tell us how to design branch circuits)? :cool:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am not very adept at doing searches on this forum. :happysad: Could someone please look up the previous debate on this question, so that I don't have to explain again why I disagree (i.e., that 220 tells us how to allow for the branch circuit load within the service or feeder load, but does not tell us how to design branch circuits)? :cool:

The search function stinks on this new forum but I knew you would be in here after Trevor posted. :D I have to go but I'll do a quick search.

ASG

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
This sounds exactly like my office debate as to how many feet of track you can put on a 20A circuit breaker.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
Use google to search

Use google to search

To search the forum using google type

site:forums.mikeholt.com "then what you want to search for here" for example:

site:forums.mikeholt.com art 220

Google will find anything. Then use the tools on the left to focus your search.

Muhammad0092

Occupation
Electrician
Yes it does the number of receptacle you can have on one branch circuit. (I) does have two parts to be able to calculate the number of receptacle according to single or multi outlet receptacle assembly.
First case if you want to install single yoke receptacle and you are using 12AWG wire size, you can have max load on branch circuit according to 210.21(B) 16 Amp.
so 16x120= 1920 VA
According to 220.14(I) we have total branch va and we can divide our single unit va to get the total number of receptacle on one 12AWG branch circuit.
1920/180=10.667 =11 total Receptacle
Case number second we are multiple outlet assembly, double or more receptacle outlets on single outlet box. Now we can use 90va of each receptacle load instead 180va.
So total we know total branch va =1920
Single receptacle va=90
Total number of receptacle
1920/90=21.33=21
So we can install 21 receptacles in multi yoke receptacles in each box.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
1. Welcome to the forum.

2. This thread is over eight years old.

3. We know the math. The debate is based on the difference between load calculations and a non-existent actual stated limit.

m sleem

Exemplary Сasual Dating - Genuine Females
Occupation
Health
I think the branch circuit would have a lot more over the 13 receptacles as long as voltage drop and diversity load are not exceeding the limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.