220.54 and 220.82 Dryer Load

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireguy8169

Ok,

In 220.54 (2011) it states that the load shall be either the name plate rating or 5000w which ever is greater for the dryer load.

When you go to 220.82 (3)(C) its tells you to use the name plate rating.

My question would be this, if I was using the optional calcualtion 220.82 and the dryer nameplate was 4800W, would I be able to use that or should I revert back to 220.54 and use the 5000W?

Please give me any code references your using to decide this. My take on it is that 220.54 is a mandatory rule, and 220.82 is a permissive rule. But I guess since its permissive if one decided to use it it would superced the mandatory rule?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Regards

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The way I read it you may use the optional method without regard to the standard method.

220.80 General.
Optional feeder and service load calculations shall be permitted in accordance with Part IV.
220.82 Dwelling Unit.
(A) Feeder and Service Load. This section applies to a dwelling unit having the total connected load served by a single 120/240-volt or 208Y/120-volt set of 3-wire service or feeder conductors with an ampacity of 100 or greater. It shall be permissible to calculate the feeder and service loads in accordance with this section instead of the method specified in Part III of this article. The calculated load shall be the result of adding the loads from 220.82(B) and (C). Feeder and service-entrance conductors whose calculated load is determined by this optional calculation shall be permitted to have the neutral load determined by 220.61.

Status
Not open for further replies.