220V motor on 208V?

Status
Not open for further replies.

olc

220V-3 PH motor
Can it be run at 208V?
Needs to be installed with a Variable frequency drive.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
220V-3 PH motor
Can it be run at 208V?
Needs to be installed with a Variable frequency drive.
Generally if it is under 10HP, the differences are immaterial. Smaller motors are manufactured under a compromise based on using a 220V design base +-10%, which makes them suitable for 198 - 244V, and it is generally accepted that 208V is used in "smaller" facilities where the distance from the service drop to the motor will not make it so that the VD is severe enough to go lower than that.

If it is 10HP and over, it is considered better to use a motor designed for 200V operation, but people feed 230V motors with 208V all the time and just accept the risk of a potentially shortened life span of the motor that will be the result.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
You will not get the same Hp out of the motors at reduced voltage. You need to look at the Hp and torque requirements. The motor will also not last as long, maybe as low as 50%.

kwired

Electron manager
You will not get the same Hp out of the motors at reduced voltage.
Why not? You can get more then rated HP out of any motor, the cost is increased current and increased heating most likely resulting in shorter life. Generally motors will try to deliver the load being demanded from them and if voltage is too high or too low it compensates with a change in current. It can get much more complex then that, but that is generally a good base of what will happen.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Why not? You can get more then rated HP out of any motor, the cost is increased current and increased heating most likely resulting in shorter life. Generally motors will try to deliver the load being demanded from them and if voltage is too high or too low it compensates with a change in current. It can get much more complex then that, but that is generally a good base of what will happen.

I agree, I should have clarified that to maintain heat within limits and retain motor life expectancy, you would need to reduce the Hp.

norcal

Since some drives have the option of adjusting the output voltage, if this is the case leave it at the factory default of 230V. Did the reverse w/ a couple of 200V 3? motors where VFD's were being used for phase conversion & a 240V supply.

Besoeker

The day I figure out how to make a drive create something that isn't there, I'll be fabulously wealthy enough to kill myself with excess pleasure. So if I ever stop posting here, you'll know what happened...:thumbsup:
I don't know whether to wish you well or badly in your endeavours............

Aleman

I don't think you will see any problems with it. If you think about it you will be about 5% low on the voltage which
in practice isn't a big deal. Transformers are not cheap, unless you want to waste some money.

Status
Not open for further replies.