225.30 Opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasman

I
am looking for opinions on 225.30 We are working on a townhome. Load calculations push it over 200A.

I am looking for some input from some individuals that are smarter than me.

There is a detached garage where the main service is built (Overhead utilities come from the alley). Our engineer designed the service (It must be reviewed and approved by the city - Denver) to be a 300A overhead service. We used a Siemens meter combo (#MK0402L1400SC) with a150A and a 200A Main breaker.

We ran feeds to two panels on the residence (W/Main Breakers). The 150A feed passes through a feed through lug panel (Panel G - Garage) before it goes underground to the residence.

This panel is used for the garage circuits (Lights, 20A receptacle circuit and EV charger). We are being told that this design violates 225.30 (B). We are being told that by doing this the feeder does not originate in the metering equipment.

We suggested that we bring a feeder circuit back from the main residence to Panel G, but were told this too is a violation.

We are getting no feedback from the city. We suggested that since they are the AHJ 225.30 (C) (2) could apply.

Thank You!

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
If I understand you correctly, I think that if you just ran each feeder from the meter/main combo to the main house and the run a feeder back from one of the main house panels back to a panel in the garage it would be compliant under the 2020 edition. The second paragraph of 225.30 allows the feeder back to the garage. Having multiple feeders to the main house is allowed by 225.30(B) (new to the 2023) but the feeders have to originate in the same distribution equipment.
Note that this has nothing to do with the metering equipment that you mention. The issue is that your feed trough panel not part of the same panel that the other feeder comes from.
I gotta ask, how big is this townhouse that it needs this large of capacity? That's a lot of power for 1 unit.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
BTW, assuming use of the 2020 NEC, how does your meter main comply with 230.71(B)?
Also note I made a typo in my previous post regarding 225.30(B). I should have have said new to the 2020 not 2023.

Status
Not open for further replies.