'23 NEC 210.8(F) Clarification

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Am I correct that GFCI protection is not required for HVAC condensers and heat pumps under the 2023 NEC.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Mike Holt said that in his 2023 code change book but I thought that it was part of a TIA or something.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
This might help to explain.

Attachments

• TIA Log No. 1748, Appeal Denied, 11-30-2023.pdf
    190.5 KB · Views: 12

mtnelect

Occupation
This is the TIA for NEC 210.8(F)

Attachments

• NEC TIA 23-3 (210.8(F) and Exception No. 2 (new).pdf
    157.2 KB · Views: 4

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
TIA 23-3 added exception #2 to 210.8(F).
Exception No. 2:
GFCI protection shall not be required for listed HVAC equipment. This exception shall expire September 1, 2026.
This is a TIA that was issued before the first edition of the 2023 was published, so it was automatically adopted when the 2023 code was adopted.g

That is not the case for TIAs that are adopted after the original publication. Those TIAs, to be legally enforceable, must be specifically adopted by the unit of government that adopted the code.

mtnelect

Occupation
This is TIA 1653, where they exempted outside outlets from GFCI originally.

Attachments

• TIA Log No. 1653, HVAC GFCI, 05-27-2022.pdf
    652.6 KB · Views: 4

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I keep forgetting to read the entire Section.
I read Exception 2 to 210.8(F) in that GFCI protection was not needed on HVAC equipment.
Once I put my glasses on I see that Exception expires in 2026 in line with the TIA
I had never seen an exception with a expiration date :)

mtnelect

Occupation
As I understand it ... GFCI are back on and required everywhere for the 2023 NEC. All TIA (Temporary Interim Amendment) have expired or have been denied.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
As I understand it ... GFCI are back on and required everywhere for the 2023 NEC. All TIA (Temporary Interim Amendment) have expired or have been denied.
What makes you say that? Don's information in post #6 is not in agreement, and Exception #2 to 210.8(F) still shows up in the 2023 NEC on nfpa.org/70.

Cheers, Wayne

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't think the issues will be resolved by the 9/1/26 expiration date, but the first draft of the 2026 code says.
Effective September 1, 2026, GFCI or SPGFCI protection shall be provided for listed HVAC equipment.
While the SPGFCI may solve the problem, they are not readily available as as far as I know there are no plans to have a breaker type SPGFCI. They are all large, and expensive stand alone devices, and they require an additional conductor between the SPGFCI device and the protected load. This is used to verify that the EGC is intact. If either the EGC or the "ground check" conductor is open, the device will open the power circuit.