230.2 multiple services allowable

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Just to be clear, grouping/non grouped and number of services are different things. grouping doesn't necessarily make it one service. Two services need not be grouped, but can be. One service with multiple disconnects usually have to be grouped, but there are some exceptions (230.40 exceptions).

You are still asking us to provide an NEC definition of "grouped in one location" when there is none. If you are acting as the AHJ you will just have to decide for yourself.

No actually I would like to know your opinion only. My opinion is it’s not grouped

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Just to be clear, grouping/non grouped and number of services are different things. grouping doesn't necessarily make it one service. Two services need not be grouped, but can be. One service with multiple disconnects usually have to be grouped, but there are some exceptions (230.40 exceptions).

You are still asking us to provide an NEC definition of "grouped in one location" when there is none. If you are acting as the AHJ you will just have to decide for yourself.

Wait what you mean two services need not be grouped? I have 230.2 first paragraph exception have two sets of service entrance conductors from one source their service disconnect need not be grouped as mentioned in 230.40 exception number 2?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
You have one service, with two sets of service entrance conductors per 230.40 exception #2.

Sorry I don’t follow. You mean for post #17 attachment? 230.2 exception no. 2 service disconnects need to be grouped correct? But they are not grouped in my opinion. Is your opinion they are grouped?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Right, but it's just a stub wall that ends right? Looks like they are about 6 feet apart with no wall between?

Their is no wall between but that stub of wall covers the entire switchboard plus about 5 feet out. So when one enters the top door one cannot see the switchgear with main service disconnect that’s behind that stub of wall.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Their is no wall between but that stub of wall covers the entire switchboard plus about 5 feet out. So when one enters the top door one cannot see the switchgear with main service disconnect that’s behind that stub of wall. Yes no wall about 6 feet apart no wall

Time ran our edited as above.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
As has been said over and over, none of this is specifically defined. It's up to you to make a call. I'm not getting paid, so I'm not making any decisions.

Right oh I have said to group service disco and my superiors want me to let it go. Couldn’t think of alternative. Buddy you wouldn’t understand sometimes I envy the contractors.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
...... my superiors want me to let it go......
Bingo ! Case closed !
You have these grey areas you present and, in the end, all we can give is opinions, As I recall you have this working relationship with the AHJ. Advise and let him/her make the call or send it up the ladder. If your superior makes the call, note it and move on or die early of heart failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.