Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The oldest NEC book in my office is 1990.

I am conducting a Value Analysis study for a project that will modify the 12.47 KV campus-wide distribution downstream of the utility metering cabinet. The system is at least 30 years old. There is presently no ?isolating switch with visible break contacts,? and the design engineer has not included one in the design. I am trying to find out when that requirement was instituted. I know that the requirement for visible break contacts was added in 1999. I also know that the requirement for the isolating switch was in the 1990 edition, and that it had not been changed from the earlier edition. Does anyone have an NEC older than 1987, and if so was the requirement for an isolating switch in the book then?

Last edited:

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
oops... sorry I just realized you need older than the '96. I don't have older than '96 here at the office. I do have back to '75 at home. Let's see if anyone else has it, otherwise PM me and I'll get it to you.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
I changed the original question because I found the 1996 edition on someone else's desk, and the 1990 edition on someone else's desk. But thanks for trying. If you have the 1975 edition, all I would ask is that you check to see if the requirement for an isolation switch existed back then. That would have been before my project's site had been built.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
OK Charlie, this from the 1975 edition. Had my wife email it to me.....have you ever tried to explain to your wife how to look something in the NEC....?:)

Attachments

• NEC Code - 230-204.pdf
    144.7 KB · Views: 0

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Many thanks. That answers the question of whether the requirement was in effect when the site was initially built.
.....have you ever tried to explain to your wife how to look something in the NEC....?:)
Actually, that would not be difficult. She looks things up for a living (i.e., she's a Reference Librarian).

Status
Not open for further replies.