230.40 exception number 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I dont know about IBC 2015 and local AHJ has nothing to say about this and is odd. They really need help and qualified people at AHJ where project is I suppose. Appraently chief inspector at this AHJ is mute and not helping.

Post #18 question seems to be ok with Post #12 response toeards the end to elminate P4 and have meter in P3 to house panel in utility room common to tenants #3 and #4.

Not sure how this can get unlimited variables or conditions be tricky like you are saying?

I thought you were mentioning a common space that is common to two tenants but not common to all tenants - that is what might be tricky. By tricky I mean something abnormal enough it doesn't really get addressed in codes.

One thing to have an inspector that you disagree with, maybe worse to have one that is mute. At some point he will make a decision and you may not like it, but you are asking now so you don't have to undo something later:(

david

Location of house panel does it matter? Can you have separate meter from P3 service and have house panel in common area of tenants #3 and #4 and elimnate P4 be code compliant post #1 configuration?

if P3 service supplies service disconnects tenant #3, tenant #4 and the house panel located in the basement and all three service disconnects are grouped than i would say you are compliant for that occupant group

But caution neither tenant #3 or tenant # 4 can supply any loads that are common including the basement lighting

i see this all the time in a common basement area there will be separate laundry areas for each tenant supplied by there respective panels , the lighting from the house panel

The heating common to two or more tenants supplied by the house panel

Individual hot water tanks sometimes gas sometimes electric supplied by the respective tenant panels

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
if P3 service supplies service disconnects tenant #3, tenant #4 and the house panel located in the basement and all three service disconnects are grouped than i would say you are compliant for that occupant group

But caution neither tenant #3 or tenant # 4 can supply any loads that are common including the basement lighting

i see this all the time in a common basement area there will be separate laundry areas for each tenant supplied by there respective panels , the lighting from the house panel

The heating common to two or more tenants supplied by the house panel

Individual hot water tanks sometimes gas sometimes electric supplied by the respective tenant panels

However, basement is partition with fire rated walls and align with fire rated tenant partition first floor and each partition of basement belongs to its respective tenants. So basement lights and power are from each respective tenant panel except for basement utility room common to tenant #3 and #4 whose lights and power would be from house panel.

The house panel with main breaker and its own meter from P3 would be located in tenant #3 and tenant #4 utility room common to tenants #3 and #4 in basement.

All three service disconnects house, tenant #3, tenant #4 would be grouped.

Would it still be code compliant?

Last edited:

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Common area is open to all occupants or group of occupants within the building. I.e. common area is for all groups of occupancies.

Post #1 P4 attachment shows service entrance conductor to common area of tenant #1 to tenant #4 and would be like runing service entrance conductors to group of occupancies. This is allowed by per NEC 2014 Article 230.40 exception number 1.

What do you all think of above would it make post #1 attachment code compliant? Is that the intent of group of occupancies?

Would appreciate code experts input.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.