230.67 Dwelling Services with SPDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron

I had trouble searching the 70-2020 document to try and figure out who proposed the SPD being required for all Dwelling Services. I think it ended up in 230.67

I was just curious if it was a Manufacturer and which one.

I had trouble searching the 70-2020 document to try and figure out who proposed the SPD being required for all Dwelling Services. I think it ended up in 230.67

I was just curious if it was a Manufacturer and which one.

I was browsing through proposals, looking for something else, and I did come across one by Schneider proposing an SPD requirement. Not sure if that is the one you are thinking of or if that one made it in.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
There were two PIs that led to the CMP-10 submission. On by a person from Schneider and the second from the safety director of a large IBEW local. There were 4 PCs, two of which asked for the section not to be included in the code, one that provided some clarifying language, and one that asked for the rule to apply to all services, not just dwelling units.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
The IBEW guy's statement includes this claim:
"Additionally, the expanding use of distributed energy resources (DER) within electrical systems often results in more opportunity or greater exposure for the introduction of surges into the system."

Is there any truth to this?

It would be nice if the substantiations included actual references to studies relevant to the subject. The Schneider guy's statement at least makes the claim that such studies exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.