230.70 disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Srv52761

Occupation
Energy Manager
I understand the 2020 NEC eliminated the 6 throw rule.
But, I thought I read on this forum it also said the disconnect had to be on the outside of the building. Reading 230.70(A)(1) it still says outside or inside.
I am confused. So my questions:
1. On a detached garage with a 240v subpanel containing only 4 breakers, does it need a disconnect at the garage?
2. If it needs a disconnect, must the disconnect be on the exterior?

3. Would a residential main service panel located in the interior of a house need a disconnect on the exterior?

4. Do exterior disconnect enclosures need to be grounded?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The nec has not done away with the 6 disconnect rule however the six disconnects must be in different enclosures. In other words, there must be a way to shut off the buss if you need to work in a panel.

Read 230.85

230.85 Emergency Disconnects.
For one- and two-family dwelling units, all service conductors shall terminate in disconnecting means having a short-circuit current rating equal to or greater than the available fault current, installed in a readily accessible outdoor location. If more than one disconnect is provided, they shall be grouped. Each disconnect shall be one of the following:
  1. (1)
    Service disconnects marked as follows:
    EMERGENCY DISCONNECT,
    SERVICE DISCONNECT
  2. (2)
    Meter disconnects installed per 230.82(3) and marked as follows:
    EMERGENCY DISCONNECT,
    METER DISCONNECT,
    NOT SERVICE EQUIPMENT
  3. (3)
    Other listed disconnect switches or circuit breakers on the supply side of each service disconnect that are suitable for use as service equipment and marked as follows:
    EMERGENCY DISCONNECT,
    NOT SERVICE EQUIPMENT

Markings shall comply with 110.21(B).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I don't see any changes to outside feeders so I believe the disconnect can be inside at the garage and you certainly need a main

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Ground rods are also needed at the garage. 4 wire feeder separate the neutrals and grounds and the grounding electrode conductor connects to the equipment grounding conductor's

Status
Not open for further replies.