230.85 Emergency disconnect

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
A disconnect is now required for the service conductors on the outside of the house. I have yet to see a combination meter/disconnect in my area. I see meter cans with 200 amp main breaker installed adjacent.

Will we be seeing combination equipment? It would certainly look better.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
A disconnect is now required for the service conductors on the outside of the house. I have yet to see a combination meter/disconnect in my area. I see meter cans with 200 amp main breaker installed adjacent.

Will we be seeing combination equipment? It would certainly look better.

I have no idea why you haven't seen meter/mains. They have been around for many years however they were very hard to find during the pandemic. I am not sure about now. You don't need a meter/main to comply with this section of the code.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have no idea why you haven't seen meter/mains.
I know why. Dominion Power provides meter bases free. It's not worth the cost for a combo.

We drive to the nearest depot, pick up one (or two), and buy the service parts the job calls for.

I have never installed one, I haven't worked in one, and don't think I have ever even seen one.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
I know why. Dominion Power provides meter bases free. It's not worth the cost for a combo.

We drive to the nearest depot, pick up one (or two), and buy the service parts the job calls for.

I have never installed one, I haven't worked in one, and don't think I have ever even seen one.
I am not sure of the situation now but two years ago I asked the designer at Dominion Power if I could install a meter combo. The answer was no.

frofro19

Occupation
Master Electrician

And Dominion doesn't approve a lot of the meter/mains. I've installed one and had to go down a list to find one they approved. Wouldn't give me the list as they said it changes for some unknown reason, but final found one they approved.