24" Kitchen Cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickboy1375

I'm wiring a Residential Kitchen with only 15" of countertop, Do I still need TWO small Appliance Circuits even though its quite impossible to fit more than one appliances on that limited space...?

celtic

stickboy1375 said:
I'm wiring a Residential Kitchen with only 15" of countertop, Do I still need TWO small Appliance Circuits even though its quite impossible to fit more than one appliances on that limited space...?

There is only 15" of wall space?

stickboy1375

nope but only 15" of countertop... :) Basically a 36" corner sink cabinet,to the right, A 15" base cabinet, then fridge, to the left of the sink cabinet a electric range....

stickboy1375

What about 210.52 (B) (3)? Receptacles installed in a kitchen to serve countertop surfaces shall be supplied by not fewer than two small-appliance branch circuits...

celtic

stickboy1375 said:
I just think its funky to have a quad, or I suppose I can have a multiwire to a split duplex...

It's an odd situation, but you seem to have the options narrowed down.

This is an example of how the NEC and its writers cannot forsee every situation that may occur in the field. I agree it is a "funky" situation, yet there is no relief from the requirements that others have posted.
Good luck on the install.

jeff43222

stickboy1375 said:
I just think its funky to have a quad, or I suppose I can have a multiwire to a split duplex...
I've never tried to do that with GFCI protection. I'm assuming the MWBC wouldn't trip the GFCI receptacles with the shared neutral. Or you could use a two-pole GFCI breaker, assuming the panel is made by someone who manufactures one.

jeff43222

Pierre C Belarge said:
This is an example of how the NEC and its writers cannot forsee every situation that may occur in the field. I agree it is a "funky" situation, yet there is no relief from the requirements that others have posted.
Not necessarily. I've come across inspectors who have used discretion in cases like this and said they weren't going to enforce a given section of the code. They understand that enforcing the black-letter law in every single instance is not reasonable.

allenwayne

jeff43222 said:
I've never tried to do that with GFCI protection. I'm assuming the MWBC wouldn't trip the GFCI receptacles with the shared neutral. Or you could use a two-pole GFCI breaker, assuming the panel is made by someone who manufactures one.

Why would it trip the device ???3 wire nm to a 2 gang box pigtail the neutrals and the 2 devices are line sided.A shared neutral on the load side downstream would cause a device to trip out but not on the line side.

iwire

Staff member
jeff43222 said:
Not necessarily. I've come across inspectors who have used discretion in cases like this and said they weren't going to enforce a given section of the code. They understand that enforcing the black-letter law in every single instance is not reasonable.

I just want to mention that the fact an inspector does not enforce an NEC section does not mean you do not have a violation.

In this case I don't see much that can happen but we need to keep in mind that the EC is forever responsible for any violations they create or leave behind inspected or not.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Pierre C Belarge said:
Good luck on the install.

That's a good point. As others have said you need to go with the minimum requirement which is two circuits. A three wire HR with a quad and two GFCI receptacles is what I would install, and call it a day. If the counter space is only 15" wide and is the only counter space available, I think that the person using it would try to plug in more than one appliance at a time, likely exceeding the ampacity of one 20 amp circuit that an inspector might let you get away with.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
623merlin said:
and lets not forget that they SHALL be GFCI protected if within 6 feet of water. (sink, diskwasher, etc.)

The 6' rule has been out the NEC for kitchens for many years. The requirement is for all counter top serving receptacles to be GFCI protected. A wall receptacle next to a dishwasher would not require GFCI protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.