24 volt lighting wires melting

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregorsc

I have a 24 volt monorail track lighting system. It consists of a 120v single pole switch(that will eventually be changed to a dimmer)that turns on a 1000va 120/24V transformer. On the secondary side I ran #10 MC cable about 10 feet to a J-Box. At the J-Box I connected to the track power feed. Before I enegized the track i tested the output voltage and it read 27v.The track power feed cable drops down about 10 feet to the track.The track is about 14 feet long with 200 watts of load connected. When i turn on the transformer the secondary wire insulation starts to melt off(takes about 30 seconds). When i turned on the transformer the lights didn't come on either. Any idea of what is wrong?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree it's a short. Check the field made connections-- also take off all the tracks and see if the same scenario exist. It could be in one of the tracks. What brand monorail are you using???

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Ditto the short circuit. Check the track first without anything attached to it, then check each light to see where the short is.

Gregorsc

Was that a toroidal type transformer? Or was it a transformer supplied with the lighting? Or did you purchase the tranformer separately?

Do you know the model/make of the transformer?

Am I making it hard to see that I am very interested in this thread ;)

gregorsc

Sorry I was gone so long. To answer some of the questions I purchased this transformer separatley.It's an ACME brand 120/24v 1 phase transformer.I tied the transformer into the circit with MC cable 12-2 coming in and 10-2 going out to a j-box. At the j-box the mc splices to the power feed cable that came with the fixtures and track. The power feed is like a heavy duty lamp cord rated for 25 ampsat the track connection end is a "shiny crome looking clamp " that clamps around the monorail track. The fuxtures connect in a similar fashion. I did notice that the track cable was very warm and the outer jacket was melting but the metal shiny clamp was not warm at all. Since my lights didn't come on I figure the short could be in the cord itself.The insulation on the mc cable wires had melted off in some spots. Before I connected the track power cable i tested the output voltage and didn't notice any insulation damage then. So i t sounds like the track power cable could be the problem.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
If this is an Art 411 application it has to be a listed system. If you assemble with parts you purchase then its not a listed system.
Since your system exceeds the power and voltage limits of a Art 725 Class II system, it needs to be installed with a chapter 3 wiring method on the secondary and transformer protection per 445.
Just because its low voltage does not mean its safe from fire or shock.

gregorsc

I think you mean art.450 and as for the protection I have primary only protection not exceeding 167%.I understand now what to check but if this is a short why doesn't the breaker trip. Is it because of the resisitance of the wire and the low voltage?

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
gregorsc said:
I did notice that the track cable was very warm and the outer jacket was melting but the metal shiny clamp was not warm at all. Since my lights didn't come on I figure the short could be in the cord itself.The insulation on the mc cable wires had melted off in some spots. Before I connected the track power cable i tested the output voltage and didn't notice any insulation damage then. So i t sounds like the track power cable could be the problem.
Sounds to me like either the #10-to-track connection or the track itself is shorted. Remove all wires and fixtures and check for continuity between track rails; it should measure as an open circuit (no continuity). If that checks okay, reconnect the #10 and check for the same at the transformer end.

dbuckley

gregorsc said:
but if this is a short why doesn't the breaker trip. Is it because of the resisitance of the wire and the low voltage?
Because... the fact the transformer output is working into a short doesn't mean the input is shorted, just that the input is drawing sufficient line current to equal the output power of the transformer. With these sorts of transformer, the design is such that the output power capability is deliberately limited.

So your transformer is 1KW at 24V, so the output current at full load is something like 42A. So just full load current will be a handful for a #10. (I note that the estimated load will be 200W, rather than 1K, so under those circumstances the #10 is adequate, as long as the volt drop not excessive. Perhaps the transformer is too big for the job at hand, though I appreciate that economics has a part to play here)

Now lets short the thing out. Let's say under short conditions, given the resistance of the #10 from the tranny to the fault, the tranny can deliver 100A, the power drawn from line is then about 2KW, so about 20A at 120V. Your 20A breaker will stay closed all day, meanwhile the #10 with 100A through it drips away...

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
gregorsc said:
I think you mean art.450 and as for the protection I have primary only protection not exceeding 167%.I understand now what to check but if this is a short why doesn't the breaker trip. Is it because of the resisitance of the wire and the low voltage?

It will burn out the transformer on the low voltage side before it will trip the high voltage breaker. If you fuse the secondary I bet it will pop immediately.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
transf.

transf.

did I do my math wrong? at full load the transformer could deliver 42 amps, correct?,
That #10 would be heavily loaded at full load even without a short.

Status
Not open for further replies.