240.4 Protection of Conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkeen

All,
Article 240.4(B) appears to permit the use of an overcurrent device rated higher than the rated ampacity of the conductor as long as the listed conditions are met. For simplicity sake, I'm trying to determine if the NEC permits conductors properly derated to somewhere above 25 amps and somewhere below 30 amps to be used for an individual branch circuit supplying a single L6-30R receptacle. The installer has pulled eight current carrying conductors with temperature ratings higher (90C) than specified for terminations (60C) for ampacity adjustments and corrections (110.14(C)). The overcurrent protection device is a 30 amp molded case circuit breaker (non-adjustable).

Second part, doesn't this make the wire a fuse?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
As long as the circuit feeds a single receptacle and the load is less then the derated ampacity of the conductor you can use the next larger standard size OCPD. As far as making it a fuse, that will not happen, the 30 amp OCPD will protect the wire. I am assuming that the conductors are #10.

iwire

Staff member
kkeen said:
The installer has pulled eight current carrying conductors with temperature ratings higher (90C) than specified for terminations (60C) for ampacity adjustments and corrections (110.14(C)).

Just curious why you figure 60 C terminations?

Most terminations are listed 75C even on circuits under 100 amps.

I agree with Don about the rest.

kkeen

Bob,

I haven't been able to confirm the termination rating of the receptacles yet, so am assuming 60 C as worst case (100.14(C)(a)(1)). I have a cut sheet (Bryant Tech-Spec L6-30R catalog number 70630R) but it doesn't specifically state the termination rating. It does mentions UL 498 and Federal Specification WC596 though. Is this a clue?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.