240 single phase oven reading 2 volts on A and 240 volts on B. reading phase to groun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I have an electric oven. Without the o en plugged in the receptacle reads correctly. As soon as i plug the oven in all the voltage is read on the B phase. 2.5 volts on A phase and 240 volts on B phase. I have traced and disconnected everything i can such as timer, elements and control knobs but i am still getting this very unbalanced voltage reading

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Check your post.. should the first part read "unplugged" ?
What is the reference for your voltage 2.5 v from___ to ___ 240v from___ to ___.

Reading from outlet without the oven plugged in on a 3 wire 240 volt system from each phase to ground i get 120 and phase to phase 240. Okay when i plug the oven in i read 2.5 volts on a phase a
to ground and 240 on b phase to ground. 240 phase to phase.

growler

Reading from outlet without the oven plugged in on a 3 wire 240 volt system from each phase to ground i get 120 and phase to phase 240. Okay when i plug the oven in i read 2.5 volts on a phase a
to ground and 240 on b phase to ground. 240 phase to phase.

I don't see how it's possible to read 240V from phase B to ground. Not going to happen.

I think whatever you think is ground is being energized by phase "A".

Run an extension cord from a receptacle with a known good ground and check between whatever you assume is ground and the ground on the extension cord.

ronaldrc

I don't see how it's possible to read 240V from phase B to ground. Not going to happen.

I think whatever you think is ground is being energized by phase "A".

Run an extension cord from a receptacle with a known good ground and check between whatever you assume is ground and the ground on the extension cord.

With a corroded or carbonized connection in the ground feed I could see possibly having these readings with a LCD multimeter. Use a selenoid or wiggy tester and see what your readings are to ground and between line #1 and line #2.

Ronald :)

Status
Not open for further replies.