240V 2 pole contactor wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgookin

Had a customer call last month on a Friday afternoon with a problem. Fortunately this customer was in the next county.

Here's the call: Got one of your controls from the supply house, removed a hard wired photocell and installed one of your electronic controls and the lights won't go out. It's been installed 45 minutes and still nothing.

Asked him if it's direct to the lights or to a contactor. He said contactor.

Asked what voltage on the coil side. He said 240V.

Asked if it has a neutral or if it's L1 L2. He said L1 L2. I said you're not the first person to call with that concern. I'll be right there. I want to see it. It will take me 45 minutes to get there. He says he gets off in an hour; let's do Monday morning. Says he's going to put the photocell back in for the weekend. See you Monday. Great.

Get there Monday morning and he's got this huge cabinet with a privately owned tranny nearby a POCO tranny. Inside this big old cabinet somebody spray painted everything green. There were panels in there, contactors, surge arrestors, and about 50+ wires, all spray painted green with zip ties bundling them all. No way to trace anything.

I look at his coil, measure voltage here and there, install our control (new one off my truck), wait the 38 seconds it should take, hear a click and a buzz but no clunk. Lights stay on.

Scratch head, repeat, repeat.

Finally determine that since photocells have no polarity and electronic controls do, they must have L1 and L2 mismatched either at the control connections or at the contactor coil. Determine it's going to be easier to change the connections at the control, so we swap L1 for L2. Power it back up and 38 seconds later and a click and a clunk and the lights go out. Bingo. We then rode around to other cabinets in the area and did more installations to make sure he was in good shape.

While I figured this out in my head and corrected the problem, now I'm trying to say it on paper so I started with a cad drawing which I'd like some opinions on.

Here's my theory.
Please draw your attention to the blue "Look Here L1".
Since it's a NC relay on both the contactor and the control, when first installed both contacts are closed and the lights are on whether that blue "Look Here" is L1 or L2. When the logic tells the control relay to open, it does, but if you have L2 connected at the blue "Look Here" it's not going to open that contactor coil because the potential will be 0V at the contactor coil.
This tells me that 240V hard wired photocells are being made and sold without regard to whether black or white is powering the red. Since it worked with his hard wired photocell, that could only have been powering red from white. His 240V hard wired photocell had the same black, red, white wires all light controls have.
Am I right or wrong?

240V 2 pole contactor.JPG

mgookin

OK > 100 views and no comments.
After a good night's sleep and re-evaluating the situation, I'm concluding the electrician just got his connections wrong.
After all, everything in that cabinet was spray painted green. There was no way to follow any wiring.

gar

Occupation
EE
161002-1233 EDT

Several comments:

Use a voltmeter.

L1 and L2 have no absolute meaning they are just labels.

If the person that installed your control had simply put your relay contact where the photocell contact had been, then the circuit would have worked.

Where your contact was put in the circuit is not clear. Was the left terminal of your contact from the same hot line as the far side of the lighting contactor, thus 0 volts to the coil, or was it to neutral in which case 120 V would be applied to the contactor coil and thus the possibility of burning out the contactor coil?

I don't know the meaning of your comment about photocell circuits having no polarity, but electronic circuits do. A single SCR does have a polarity, but a Triac does not, nor does a side by side pair of SCRs when phased oppositely.

mgookin

Thank you gar. We did have a volt meter.

To answer your question, the line connection he had at the control was the same leg as he had on the other side of the contactor. That was the problem.

This has only happened 3 times in 5 years. Every time it's on a system with no neutral. The control will function regardless of how you connect it but the contactor coil won't. We had the choice of swapping the connections at the control or changing which leg goes to the other side of the contactor coil. It was easier to change the connections at the control.

Since it worked fine with the photocell (except that his lights stayed on 3 hours too long every morning) this means that every time he tried it he made the same mistakes in his connections and every time he changed it back he made the inverse of the mistakes. The probability of that is pretty slim.

I finally marked the wires, had him change it, saw it do the same thing, got the same voltage readings, had him reverse the connections, and then saw it work fine. Makes no sense.

Thanks.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
.... Makes no sense.
Where does the DCV Control Coil get it's power? Does it change state no matter which way L1 and L2 are connected? Is this contactor integral with your unit? Is output a wet contact as pictured?

gar

Occupation
EE
161002-2235 EDT

mgookin:

I really did not understand your description of the problem other than it did not work, and that probably the point labeled L2 to the right of the contactor coil was really L1 instead of L2.

Troubleshooting I would have put one voltmeter lead on said point (labeled L2) and went searching for the other side of the 240 V. Lacking a voltmeter I could use a wire connected to the left terminal of the coil of the lighting contactor as a probe to go searching for the 240 v source. Obviously temporally disconnecting the original wire to the left side of the contactor coil. Next I would make sure the wire from the right side of your contact was the wire to the contactor coil. Now correct connection of the wiring based on this information would result in correct operation no matter what the wire labels were.

mgookin

Where does the DCV Control Coil get it's power? Does it change state no matter which way L1 and L2 are connected? Is this contactor integral with your unit? Is output a wet contact as pictured?

Rectifier circuit is integrated in the control. Has DC for the relay coil, for the radio receiver and for the clock.

Yes. It's going to have the DC coil power regardless of how you connect L1 and L2 but it's going to forward the black connection to the red which goes to the contactor coil. (black white red connections just like any other light control)

The DC coil is integral. The contactor is not.

Yes.

161002-2235 EDT

mgookin:

I really did not understand your description of the problem other than it did not work, and that probably the point labeled L2 to the right of the contactor coil was really L1 instead of L2.

It can be said that the wrong leg was connected at the contactor coil, but that worked fine before, so it has to be concluded the connections were wrong at the control (black & white were connected backwards thereby forwarding the wrong leg to the near side of the contactor coil).

Troubleshooting I would have put one voltmeter lead on said point (labeled L2) and went searching for the other side of the 240 V. Lacking a voltmeter I could use a wire connected to the left terminal of the coil of the lighting contactor as a probe to go searching for the 240 v source. Obviously temporally disconnecting the original wire to the left side of the contactor coil. Next I would make sure the wire from the right side of your contact was the wire to the contactor coil. Now correct connection of the wiring based on this information would result in correct operation no matter what the wire labels were.

I hear you. And that's always the logical starting point. Keep in mind when the control relay is open and there's no neutral, you have the far side of the contactor backfeeding through the contactor coil. If you measure the near side of that coil to any other leg, you're getting the reading from the far side.

This only rears its ugly head about once every two years. First time was about 5 years ago. Once this year and I think once a year or two ago. It's always when there is no neutral though.

FYI: I do have an error in my drawing. The contactor coil should be shown as normally open. Put line voltage to it and it closes = lights come on.

FYI2: To an installer it's the same as installing a photocell. It's even in a twist-lock housing with a twist-lock receptacle. That was done intentionally to make it a very simple adaptation to all existing lighting control systems. Even if you're replacing a programmable timer you just wire in the twist-lock receptacle. It seems unimaginable that someone could take out a hard wired photocell and get the connections wrong when installing the twist-lock receptacle but as we demonstrated here, it does happen. I'm sure having all the wires in the cabinet spray painted green had much to do with it.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
It can be said that the wrong leg was connected at the contactor coil, but that worked fine before, so it has to be concluded the connections were wrong at the control (black & white were connected backwards thereby forwarding the wrong leg to the near side of the contactor coil).
If this is true you better plan on visiting every POCO and sub station in the US to head off any more trouble.

mgookin

If this is true you better plan on visiting every POCO and sub station in the US to head off any more trouble.

I don't think we're communicating effectively.

The guy had a control on there and everything worked as expected.

He disconnected the wires at the control and installed a new control. That's when the problem started. The same leg was connected to both sides of the contactor coil. This gives 0V at the contactor coil when it's supposed to be 240V.

So what does POCO have to do with that?

mgookin

His unit has a wet contact output. His power inputs should be (IMO)...

• L (L1)
  • N (L2)
...with output...
  • LSWITCHED

The control switches one leg.
The guy had it wired such that the same leg being switched was the same leg going to the other side of the contactor coil.
Regardless of what the control does, it's not going to open the contactor until you change either the leg going to the other side of the contactor coil or the input connections at the control.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The guy had it wired such that the same leg being switched was the same leg going to the other side of the contactor coil.
Regardless of what the control does, it's not going to open the contactor until you change either the leg going to the other side of the contactor coil or the input connections at the control.
I realize that. :roll:

The point is getting the consumer to realize that. :happyyes:

mgookin

I realize that. :roll:

The point is getting the consumer to realize that. :happyyes:

Not a consumer. An electrician who made an honest mistake. Keep in mind we are in a state where you only need that license to do contracting. Anyone can be hired as an electrician for an organization that does not do contracting (facilities maintenance, for example). There are zero qualifications required by law. This guy admitted he "used to be an electrician". In his defense, he was blinded by all the wires being spray painted. To criticize him, even a "used to be an electrician" should have been able to figure that one out.

Sahib

If suitably marked ferrules are kept at individual wire ends, such mistakes could be avoided IMO.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I see what you are saying now.

gar

Occupation
EE
161004-1522 EDT

mgookin:

I need an education on how an ordinary photocell control is wired, powered, and operates, and the same for your control.

1. I assume that the load to be switched is sufficiently large that a self powered control is not practical. This would be one where sunlight and a solar panel as the power source directly powered the output relay and sensed the light level. Hysteresis would probably be that of the relay in the simplest circuit.

2. Thus, if not self powered, then the light control has to have a source of power for the electronics to power the output relay.

3. Fundamentally this source of power is two wires.

4. There has to be two wires for the output switched contact.

5. In a conventional photocell control and in your control is the total control reduced to a 3 wire system where the control power source and the switched output contact share one terminal or wire? If this is the case, then there is certainly a need for that one common lead to be correctly located. However, there may be some applications where this is not a problem. This is circuit dependent.

mgookin

Hi gar:

Maybe if I explain it this way, it will be more clear.

To build my first prototype 6 years ago I took a twist-lock photocell, took the cap off, removed the circuit board, built and installed my circuit board, and put the cap back on.

Our control has the same 3 blade twist-lock plug that any twist-lock photocell has.
Our control goes in the same twist-lock receptacle any twist-lock photocell goes in.
Our control has the same black, white & red wires as a photocell receptacle.
We buy photocell receptacles by the pallet for customers who need them to use our controls. It's the same receptacle with the same wiring connections.

The connections are:
Black - line
White - neutral
Red - load (control)

Our control is wired and powered the same as an ordinary photocell control is wired and powered.

When it's time for the lights to come on, the relay closes and that makes the connection from black to red.
When it's time for the lights to go off, the relay opens and that breaks the connection from black to red.

Operation is completely different though:

A photocell is light dependent. Sun comes up, light strikes a photoresistor, lights go off, hopefully. As the lens gets dirty and oxidizes over time the lights stay on too late in the morning, come on too early in the evening, and cycle on and off as clouds go over.

Our control is an astronomical timer which uses a GPS radio receiver to acquire a latitude, longitude, date & time synchronization. With those data it determines dusk-to-dawn switch times for the location for every day of the year without any programming, maintenance or batteries. It's very simple, it makes sure the lights are never on when the sun is over the horizon. To the installer it is as "plug and play" as a photocell.

The problem which inspired this thread was from a system with no neutral compounded with the fact that someone spray painted everything in the cabinet, including the wires, green. The installer got his connections wrong when he removed a hard wired photocell and installed a twist-lock socket to install our astronomical timer.

It has happened twice before in the past 5 years (which is a very small rate considering all the thousands of installations) but every time there's no neutral. Wires are all the same color and installer doesn't label the wires before he takes apart the connections. He makes up his connections, gets something wrong, then calls us saying it's not working. I guess it would help if we put labels in the box when we ship product. That's something to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.