240VAC corded appliances

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may be a very dated request, but I've failed to post it on the forum quite some time back.

January, 2011 EC&M's CODE BASICS paragraph on voltage limitations sparked a question.

For those of us who spend a fair amount of time living overseas, we accumulate various electrical devices which operate on nominal 240VAC, the typical standard in much of the world outside the USA.

My first read of 210.6 (A)(2) and the notes indicates it is not code complaint to have outlets for the use of cord connected appliance of less than 1440 VA, if there is more than 120VAC between the conductors supplying the terminals.

Moving over to 210.6 (C) (6), we find it is code allowable to have circuits with up to 277 VAC between conductors for cord-and plug connected utilization equipment.

This section has no power rating limitation, and using the broad definition of utilization equipment, it would seem
210.6(C)(6) is the way to allow the installation of 240VAC outlets in a residence to use 240VAC appliances and devices.

If this is the case, why is there these two seemingly conflicting sections of the NEC?

Also, if 210.6(C)(6) does not allow for 240VAC outlets for the use of 240VAC cord-and-plug devices, wouldn't it be safer to allow the use of 240VAC outlets for this purpose rather than to have portable step-up transformers used to power the 240VAC devices?

What would be the best way for a stateside application to use typical 240VAC corded appliances?

iwire

Staff member
My first read of 210.6 (A)(2) and the notes indicates it is not code complaint to have outlets for the use of cord connected appliance of less than 1440 VA, if there is more than 120VAC between the conductors supplying the terminals.

Moving over to 210.6 (C) (6), we find it is code allowable to have circuits with up to 277 VAC between conductors for cord-and plug connected utilization equipment.

This section has no power rating limitation, and using the broad definition of utilization equipment, it would seem
210.6(C)(6) is the way to allow the installation of 240VAC outlets in a residence to use 240VAC appliances and devices.

I agree but will add that (A) applies specifically to dwelling units and therefore makes (C) a moot point in a home.

What would be the best way for a stateside application to use typical 240VAC corded appliances?

Buy 125 volt replacements for the appliances rated under 1440vA.

Or just ignore the code which is what I would do in my own home.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
If you put a 240V 20A single phase rec in your home, when you try to sell won't the Home Inspectors head explode?

JFletcher

Hotel PTAC units are commonly on 240 20A plugs (over 1440VA).

Dryers and ranges are usually cord and plug too. Most other 240V loads in residences are hardwired.

We installed a 240V 20A receptacle in a garage for a portable heater about a month ago.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
For those of us who spend a fair amount of time living overseas, we accumulate various electrical devices which operate on nominal 240VAC, the typical standard in much of the world outside the USA.

I would just like to note that the NEC is the National Electrical Code, the nation being the US. Trying to apply it to systems outside the US that have different voltages and uses of those voltages makes no sense to me.

fmtjfw

This may be a very dated request, but I've failed to post it on the forum quite some time back.

January, 2011 EC&M's CODE BASICS paragraph on voltage limitations sparked a question.

If this is the case, why is there these two seemingly conflicting sections of the NEC?

Also, if 210.6(C)(6) does not allow for 240VAC outlets for the use of 240VAC cord-and-plug devices, wouldn't it be safer to allow the use of 240VAC outlets for this purpose rather than to have portable step-up transformers used to power the 240VAC devices?

I put standard NEMA 250V 15A plugs on the appliances. I have a high current German waffle maker I can place on top of the German sewing machine in the sewing room in case an inspector breaks into my house and invokes the 1440watt rule. For my small (apartment sized) refrig I used a 240/120 transformer wires for stepup. For the BOSE 901 active equalizer I used a tiny 4-coil 120/240/480V transformer wired for 120/240 using a non-standard receptacle/plug (in 1972).
I also have a 2KW 120(100?)/240 transformer designed to run 240V appliances in Japan, but I'm getting too old to lug it around.

Status
Not open for further replies.