240volt lighting ckt (single pole switch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I remember the glass being darker and more shaped, but the physical layout, yes.

I believe the center socket was 3-way. Were there 3-way mogul-based bulbs? :unsure:

Either that, or the lamp as a whole: mogul only, Edisons only, both simultaneously.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Modern???? Edison invented them! That's why it is called Edison Base.

Or are you just referring to poorly made Edison base sockets in modern fixtures?

There are also Mogul-Base lamps, but again, not modern at all. They were common in the 1920s.

In the sense that they are still around. Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part- but Edison sockets would never be approved today if they were a new way of bringing power to light bulbs.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I remember the glass being darker and more shaped, but the physical layout, yes.

I believe the center socket was 3-way. Were there 3-way mogul-based bulbs? :unsure:

Either that, or the lamp as a whole: mogul only, Edisons only, both simultaneously.

Yup, 3 way mogul base. They existed. The bulbs are still available.

MD Automation

Occupation
Engineer
I use one of these floor lamp every day still. Took this from my parents house in Brooklyn over 40 years ago when I moved out, and I bet it was easily over 30 years old at that point. Here is a quick pic with the shade and globe removed...

1K8A7545_C.jpg

Yes - the center bulb is the large Mogul base - 100/200/300 watt 3-way. The 3 outside lamps are standard base and are controlled by a separate switch (the "wrong color" silver rotary replacement) seen. It has 4 positions - off, turns 1, then 2, then all 3 bulbs on.

All brass from top to bottom, just weighed it and it's over 20 lbs w/o the globe. I polish it up every decade. Works like a charm.

I recall re-wiring this as a kid. The old cloth covered spiral original was pretty scary to look at. I just checked, and it does not have a polarized plug on it now - so that's a new "to-do" thing for me ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.