24kGenerator cable feeding 200a transfer switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gushud

Does the cable coming from the generator need to be 2/0 copper to the transfer switch. Generac sells a cable that has the control wiring in it that says it rated for 24kw but the conductor are 3 3awg one 8awg and 6 18awg I guess my question is where the generator is powering the whole panel in the dwelling does the cable come from the generator need to be rated for 200 amps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Is there a breaker in the generator? Also if this is an automatic transfer switch, it the generator large enough to handle 100% of the load? If not it needs a load management system. 702.4(B)(2)

Gushud

So someone asked me about installing one which I haven't done before So I was assuming it was 200amps ocpd but it's probably a 100amps and that might be why generac sells the smaller cable

Gushud

So basically do a calculation using optional method and if not enough va. Try the load management method. Does the code specify how to do a load management

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The new Generac 24kw genny comes with a 100a output breaker, and that's all its feeder needs to be rated for.

Status
Not open for further replies.