24kw Generac generator 200 amp Ats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
question here…
Say you get load data per 220.87 and the peak demand is 18kW.
Wouldn't the 24kW be sufficient without load shedding?

just because its a 200 amp service doesn't mean it will ever see 200 amps.
The disconnect is rated for 200 amps.

If the calculated load or whatever method you use is 18kw then Imo the generator only has to be rated for that load so a 24kw would be compliant.

I do not have a code section on that

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
If the calculated load or whatever method you use is 18kw then Imo the generator only has to be rated for that load so a 24kw would be compliant.

Thats good enough for me.. thanks!

kwired

Electron manager

702.4(B)

That also has the allowance for load management to keep the load below the rating of the generator.

billygoat410

Occupation
elec/hvac
I've had two heat pumps and the elec heaters running at same time on one gen, didn't load shed until added the elec dryer to load. Since I do hvac as well use the load shed connections in ats to load shed the ht pump condensors and elec heaters. this will not work if elec heater has sequencers vs contactors due to the time delays.
can be easier to use the load shed boxes due to wire runs of low voltage load shed. the contacts in ats are dry contacts and only amp or two each rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.