24V DC and 120V AC in Same Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an enclosure that houses 4 power supplies. The inputs are 120V AC the outputs are 24VDC. Are there any restrictions in housing 24VDC and 120V AC wiring in the same enclosure? do I need to separate the wiring by providing a physical barrier or will I be ok as long as I have them on opposite ends of the enclosure (1'X4'X1') and have the same insulation type 600V/105C for both AC and DC wiring?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It depends on a lot of information you have not provided such as whether the 24V circuits are power limited or not, and whether the wires leave the box. What they are used for might also have a bearing on things.

There is generally no problem with putting them in the same box though.

My 24V outputs are Class 2.

I?m able to house DC and AC wiring in the same enclosure, provided that all conductors are insulated for the maximum voltage of any conductor in the enclosure; according to Article 725.26(A) of the 2005 NEC.

Thanks for you help.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
My 24V outputs are Class 2.
I’m able to house DC and AC wiring in the same enclosure, provided that all conductors are insulated for the maximum voltage of any conductor in the enclosure; according to Article 725.26(A) of the 2005 NEC.
You need to be looking at 725.55(A). In general your Class 2 ouputs are not permitted in the same raceway as your 120 volt inputs.
Don

Don, you?re absolutely right, I did look at section 725.55 and since the 120V wiring will be feeding the power supply. Article 725.55(D) allows the installation of AC DC wiring in the same enclosure. Correct? 120V input to the power supply and 24V out.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
don_resqcapt19 said:
You need to be looking at 725.55(A). In general your Class 2 ouputs are not permitted in the same raceway as your 120 volt inputs.
Don

They can't be in the same raceway. They can be in the same enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.