24V DC + antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
A dairy customer told me a few months ago that they had a bare cu wire buried around their facilitiy to help with "stray voltage" and whatever else. He wasn't sure when I talked to him today. I was going to clamp a meter around it just because I was curious. I thought maybe they had tied it into the electrical system some where. Nope. Positive goes to the #8 Bare Cu, Negative goes to the antenna. My DC amp clamp meter will not read that low. The only load that I could see was the little LED type affair that was supposed to indicate 24V. It was unlit at 17 volt. Maybe time to replace the batteries. This must be the new model because the batteries of one I saw before was not connected to the cu ring, just the GES at the 480v service. There are a few new members so maybe they have insight into the theory of this setup. I certainly don't have a clue.
. View attachment 6991

mike_kilroy

maybe the theory of is make money selling unsuspecting folks 'protection' that won't hurt them and makes them happy to give you their money? I've no doubt a good double talking salesman could twist galvanic corrosion protection (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathodic_protection) into taking out stray fields also. Wastn't there also 'proof' a few years ago that stray electromagnetic fields on dairy farms near hi tension power lines were adversly affecting the cows? Couple that with a cathodic protection scheme and it sounds almost plausible enough to sell and make a profit?

kwired

Electron manager
A dairy customer told me a few months ago that they had a bare cu wire buried around their facilitiy to help with "stray voltage" and whatever else. He wasn't sure when I talked to him today. I was going to clamp a meter around it just because I was curious. I thought maybe they had tied it into the electrical system some where. Nope. Positive goes to the #8 Bare Cu, Negative goes to the antenna. My DC amp clamp meter will not read that low. The only load that I could see was the little LED type affair that was supposed to indicate 24V. It was unlit at 17 volt. Maybe time to replace the batteries. This must be the new model because the batteries of one I saw before was not connected to the cu ring, just the GES at the 480v service. There are a few new members so maybe they have insight into the theory of this setup. I certainly don't have a clue.
. View attachment 6991

I sold him that for $50,000. You saying it don't work?

For another $25,000 he could have gotten one with battery charger then he wouldn't have to deal with manually charging batteries.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.