$25 an hour electrician?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KVA

I had a call yesterday from my craigslist ad (yeah i know:lol:) from a property investment company. The lady said she is looking for a backup electrician because her main electrician is always busy now. She tells me he charges them $25 an hour and they have plenty of work for him. She says he runs a business and always busy. My first thought was no way in hell he is a business and only charges $25 an hour but after thinking about it I kinda changed my thinking.

At $25 an hour for 40 hours a week that's $1,000 a week that would be good for me. I don't have kids, don't own a home, don't have expensive toys and pretty much live my life happily with very little by choice. I can very easily live off of $500 a week. So if I made $1,000 a week I would take $500 for living expenses and the other $500 back into my business.

I'm at $50 an hour right now but I'm lucky if I work more then 2 days a week sometimes. At $25 an hour I could and most guys could get tons of work for sure. I rather stay busy all week then sit around looking at my tools wishing i was working. I'm just thinking about this not sure If I would do this.

Thoughts? Comments?

renosteinke

I'm going to assume that you accurately related the contents of the conversation. I'm also going to assume honesty. Let's look at it a bit closer:

" Her main electrician is always busy now. She tells me he charges them $25 an hour and they have plenty of work for him"

"She says he runs a business and always busy"

Her main electrician: Means they have others

He's always busy: note that she did NOT say he was busy with her!

He charges $25 an hour: Way underpriced for anything but an employee. Maybe he's a 'carryover' from before he got his license. Or, he has a 'maintenance' contract for the lighting, and the rate is also applied to the time he spends inspecting, etc. Maybe she's implying that they want a lower rate.

They have plenty of work for him: But not for the other electricians? Heck, I bet they'd have even more if he dropped his rate! Plus, define "plenty." Who said anything about 40 hrs/wk, or benefits, or a long-term relationship? "Plenty" to them might mean a week of changing light bulbs, and MAYBE on-call for apartment turn-arounds. Or, she's just fishing.

He runs a business: Means he has other committments

And always busy: Perhaps with better-paying jobs?

All I can say is that we all need to have our own goals, and to evaluate our choices in light of those goals. Keep your eyes on YOUR ball.

Otherwise ... the cynic in me has been tugging at my ear, reminding me that EVERY time someone has promised 'lots of work,' the promise was never kept. It's just been used as a hook to try to get me to do some cut-rate work, once.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Run away fast, don't look back,

How you gonna pay your business liability insurance, health insurance, tax accountant, fuel and repairs for your truck,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Not on 25 bucks an hour gross, it just ain't happening.

KVA

I'm going to assume that you accurately related the contents of the conversation. I'm also going to assume honesty. Let's look at it a bit closer:

The topic is not about the phone call but about a business charging $25 an hour. I don't care about the call I get those bs calls all the time.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I had a call yesterday from my craigslist ad (yeah i know:lol:) from a property investment company. The lady said she is looking for a backup electrician because her main electrician is always busy now. She tells me he charges them $25 an hour and they have plenty of work for him. She says he runs a business and always busy. My first thought was no way in hell he is a business and only charges $25 an hour but after thinking about it I kinda changed my thinking.

At $25 an hour for 40 hours a week that's $1,000 a week that would be good for me. I don't have kids, don't own a home, don't have expensive toys and pretty much live my life happily with very little by choice. I can very easily live off of $500 a week. So if I made $1,000 a week I would take $500 for living expenses and the other $500 back into my business.

I'm at $50 an hour right now but I'm lucky if I work more then 2 days a week sometimes. At $25 an hour I could and most guys could get tons of work for sure. I rather stay busy all week then sit around looking at my tools wishing i was working. I'm just thinking about this not sure If I would do this.

Thoughts? Comments?

first, you are looking at it backwards. IMHO.

what does it cost you to BUY those hours you are thinking of selling at $25?

what are your expenses? what is the monthly nut you have to make
to stand still? insurance, licenses, fees, all the static expenses you have
to pay no matter what comes (or doesn't) in the door?

now, figure out what you are going to pay yourself a month.

realistically, 32 $kaching$ hours a week is about all you can expect.
the rest of the time is non productive labor, scheduling, etc.

so... say roughly 130 hours a month.

that is all the time you have to generate money.

add up all your expenses... and your wage you want to pay yourself,
and divide it by 130.

that's your hourly rate, if your business doesn't make any profit besides
employing you.

go to barebones biz and download the free weekend business plan.

fill it out, and do what she tells you to.

your selling price on your labor will be above $100 an hour. count on it.

there are other threads on here about this.

Loffgren

How you gonna pay your business liability insurance, health insurance, tax accountant, fuel and repairs for your truck,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I totally agree! Bad situation

KVA

first, you are looking at it backwards. IMHO.

what does it cost you to BUY those hours you are thinking of selling at $25?

what are your expenses? what is the monthly nut you have to make
to stand still? insurance, licenses, fees, all the static expenses you have
to pay no matter what comes (or doesn't) in the door?

now, figure out what you are going to pay yourself a month.

realistically, 32 $kaching$ hours a week is about all you can expect.
the rest of the time is non productive labor, scheduling, etc.

so... say roughly 130 hours a month.

that is all the time you have to generate money.

add up all your expenses... and your wage you want to pay yourself,
and divide it by 130.

that's your hourly rate, if your business doesn't make any profit besides
employing you.

go to barebones biz and download the free weekend business plan.

fill it out, and do what she tells you to.

your selling price on your labor will be above $100 an hour. count on it.

there are other threads on here about this.

That plan may work out in CA but here in PA total different market. Everyday isn't a vacation over here:lol:

KVA

Hey i see your in the burbs too I'm in Upper Bucks. Do you run your own shop?

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Hey i see your in the burbs too I'm in Upper Bucks. Do you run your own shop?

Yeah, I'm a Millwright, rigging, machinery mover. I was just up there last year a bunch of times. One of my customer's was working on the Upper Black Eddy Bridge. Lot of equipment to set up and tear down. I handle his mobilizations.

It sure was a long way around when the bridge was closed huh?

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager

Thoughts? Comments?

If you are at $50.00 now you only need to find 20 hours each week and you made the same amount and did not work as hard.

Either way you still have overhead costs and you really don't make anything until those are paid for.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I'd rather sit on the couch and play video games half the time than charge half of what I do now and work twice as much.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
$25/hr for 40 hrs is one thing, however you gonna put in 60 or more hours to work that 40, mobilization, stocking truck, parts runs, travel between jobs, paperwork, etc.

Furthermore even if its not CA neither is rural Georgia where I'm at, for $25/hr I want a fulltime job with at least some benefits, someone else getting the headaches.

Well they say aim low if you want a better chance of achieving your goals? Or is it aim high to excel? There's a quote somewhere that applies.

And then again I'd work for $25/hr if it was the only way I could survive. So far I haven't had to, and as others have said I'd rather work half as many hours for twice the per hour.

kwired

Electron manager
$25/hr for 40 hrs is one thing, however you gonna put in 60 or more hours to work that 40, mobilization, stocking truck, parts runs, travel between jobs, paperwork, etc.

Furthermore even if its not CA neither is rural Georgia where I'm at, for $25/hr I want a fulltime job with at least some benefits, someone else getting the headaches.

Well they say aim low if you want a better chance of achieving your goals? Or is it aim high to excel? There's a quote somewhere that applies.

And then again I'd work for $25/hr if it was the only way I could survive. So far I haven't had to, and as others have said I'd rather work half as many hours for twice the per hour.

I'd work for $25/hr also, but not as the hourly rate billed to the customer and being the owner of the company.

$25/hr means I come to work, I work reasonably hard, but not constantly hard, maybe am not paid for lunch or breaks, at end of day I go home and don't worry about work until next day - maybe the exceptional after hours service call but I do get paid for that when it happens.

There is no liability insurance, workers compensation, employers payroll taxes contributions, etc. The employer probably charged at least $50/hr for my labor to the customer, paid half to me, paid all the insurance, taxes -etc and probably only had $10/hr left over as profit at the most.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
I'd work for $25/hr also, but not as the hourly rate billed to the customer and being the owner of the company.

$25/hr means I come to work, I work reasonably hard, but not constantly hard, maybe am not paid for lunch or breaks, at end of day I go home and don't worry about work until next day - maybe the exceptional after hours service call but I do get paid for that when it happens.

There is no liability insurance, workers compensation, employers payroll taxes contributions, etc. The employer probably charged at least $50/hr for my labor to the customer, paid half to me, paid all the insurance, taxes -etc and probably only had $10/hr left over as profit at the most.

So take that 15 bucks an hour of overhead away from the 25 bucks this cheapskate wants to pay. Leaves you with about 10 bucks an hour. That's not an offer, that's an insult to your intelligence

rt66electric

$25 for 6 hrs, or $50 for 2 hrs

$25 for 6 hrs, or $50 for 2 hrs

My repley to the customer is " I can get a usually better job done in less time" A good service man with a stocked truck does not need three trips to the store to add a receptacle.

rt66electric

RATES are as follows

RATES are as follows

My rates are as follows......

poor folks -(and the heater is really broken)

lttle-ol-ladies and such- repairs very little ( if you do it for free they will call you back to rewire the whole house)

Buddy-buddy rate- I will trade electrical parts for just about anything

Good-ol-boy rate same as above but for cash only

Lots or hours or repeat customer rate

Standard rate---

Commercial rate--

You live way on the other side of town rate....

you live in the GOOD part of town rate....

PAin in the butt/ difficult job rate

You are a buttthead rate...

You are a butthead with insurance rate...

FINNALY ------ YOU ARE A LAWYER RATE----------

svh19044

That plan may work out in CA but here in PA total different market. Everyday isn't a vacation over here:lol:

It's funny that in Central Bucks, where I do a lot of work, we have the same prices as "expensive" parts of CA, both labor wise, and in real estate prices. Yet just up the road in upper Bucks, you can justify $25/hour. :eek: I've done work in Bedminster and Tinicum, and never felt the need to adjust my prices, nor have the customers balked at my pricing.

$25/hour doesn't come close to covering overhead.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Truthfully, at 50 years old and knowing myself as well as a fifty year old guy with his eyes wide open can. Even though it wouldn't have been the right way to act,,,,,

I would have said bad words to her.

Sorry mom, I know you tried, with threats of washing my mouth out with soap, and stories of how the dragonflies would come and sew my mouth shut.

But I would have called her bad names

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
It's funny that in Central Bucks, where I do a lot of work, we have the same prices as "expensive" parts of CA, both labor wise, and in real estate prices. Yet just up the road in upper Bucks, you can justify $25/hour. :eek: I've done work in Bedminster and Tinicum, and never felt the need to adjust my prices, nor have the customers balked at my pricing.

$25/hour doesn't come close to covering overhead.

and a very quiet soft spoken fellow on this forum who lives in
a right to work state, with high unemployment, has his rate
set at $175 an hour, and is busy.

everyday there must be a vacation as well....

we have a *huge* unskilled or semiskilled unemployed labor
pool here.... and the home depot parking lot gargoyle, speaking
no english, commands $120 a day.

my experience has been that if my price is ridiculously low, i won't
get work, 'cause i don't value myself enough to charge enough to
support myself on. who would know my worth better than i?
and if i consider myself worthless, how on earth am i going to
convince anyone else otherwise? lie to myself and them?

neither one of us is going to believe it.

if the guy really wants to be busy, he should raise his rates, and
ONLY flat bid stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.