250.114 [new] Exception 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmtjfw

Section/Paragraph: 250.114 [new] Exception 2

Added Text

250.114 Equipment Connected by Cord and Plug. Under any of the conditions described in 250.114(1) through (4), exposed, normally non?current-carrying metal parts of cord-and-plug-connected equipment shall be connected to the equipment grounding conductor.

Exception No. 1: Listed tools, listed appliances, and listed equipment covered in 250.114(2) through (4) shall not be required to be connected to an equipment grounding conductor where protected by a system of double insulation or its equivalent. Double insulated equipment shall be distinctively marked.

Exception No. 2: An equipment grounding conductor is not required when receptacles are wired under 406.4(D)(2)(b) and (c).

Substantiation:

The combination of 250.114 and 406.4(D)(2)(b) and (c) is sometimes interpreted to mean that equipment "requiring" connection to a grounding conductor can not utilize receptacles installed under the 406.4 provisions mentioned above. Due to copyright issues (I am not certain of the "fair use" exemption can apply to a whole forum discussion, I have not included text by others from an public online discussion proposing this aberrant interpretation. The contents of this public online forum are preserved for years and this is a link to the discussion Thread: GFCI Receptacle For Appliance With 3 - Prong Cord. See especially postings #2, #3, #4, #7, #8, #9, #10, and #15.

Does anyone seriously believe that the Code allows the installation of three prong grounding-type receptacles without a connection to the grounding connection and not expect three pronged plugs to be plugged into it?

Does anyone seriously believe that appliances, luminaires, and such that have three pronged plugs exist that do not "require grounding"?

It is clear to me that the requirement for GFCI protection of such ungrounded "grounding" receptacles has the intent of having the GFCI protection substitute for grounding. Otherwise the only reason for this scheme is to allow you to plug in a three wire extension cord or plug strip which would then be allowed to only be used by 2 prong plugs.

I believe the "No Equipment Ground" label is for those rare instances when an equipment ground is required for proper functioning of a device or interconnected devices. The only device that comes to mind is the plugin GFCI tester that needs a grounding conductor to trip the testee which, of course, is not a listed means of testing GFCIs.

insert delete

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Section/Paragraph: 250.114 [new] Exception 2

Added Text

250.114 Equipment Connected by Cord and Plug. Under any of the conditions described in 250.114(1) through (4), exposed, normally non?current-carrying metal parts of cord-and-plug-connected equipment shall be connected to the equipment grounding conductor.

Exception No. 1: Listed tools, listed appliances, and listed equipment covered in 250.114(2) through (4) shall not be required to be connected to an equipment grounding conductor where protected by a system of double insulation or its equivalent. Double insulated equipment shall be distinctively marked.

Exception No. 2: An equipment grounding conductor is not required when receptacles are wired under 406.4(D)(2)(b) and (c).

Substantiation:

The combination of 250.114 and 406.4(D)(2)(b) and (c) is sometimes interpreted to mean that equipment "requiring" connection to a grounding conductor can not utilize receptacles installed under the 406.4 provisions mentioned above. Due to copyright issues (I am not certain of the "fair use" exemption can apply to a whole forum discussion, I have not included text by others from an public online discussion proposing this aberrant interpretation. The contents of this public online forum are preserved for years and this is a link to the discussion Thread: GFCI Receptacle For Appliance With 3 - Prong Cord. See especially postings #2, #3, #4, #7, #8, #9, #10, and #15.

Does anyone seriously believe that the Code allows the installation of three prong grounding-type receptacles without a connection to the grounding connection and not expect three pronged plugs to be plugged into it?

Does anyone seriously believe that appliances, luminaires, and such that have three pronged plugs exist that do not "require grounding"?

It is clear to me that the requirement for GFCI protection of such ungrounded "grounding" receptacles has the intent of having the GFCI protection substitute for grounding. Otherwise the only reason for this scheme is to allow you to plug in a three wire extension cord or plug strip which would then be allowed to only be used by 2 prong plugs.

I believe the "No Equipment Ground" label is for those rare instances when an equipment ground is required for proper functioning of a device or interconnected devices. The only device that comes to mind is the plugin GFCI tester that needs a grounding conductor to trip the testee which, of course, is not a listed means of testing GFCIs.

insert delete

We can Install 2 prong receptacles here...

fmtjfw

We can Install 2 prong receptacles here...

Yes you can. See:

406.4(D)(2)(a) A non?grounding-type receptacle(s) shall be permitted to be replaced with another non?grounding-type receptacle(s).

However by replacing the receptacle with a two-prong you may be missing the protection of a GFCI and you will be encouraging customers to cut off the grounding prong on cords that have them. There are many non-double insulated loads that still have two-prong plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.