250.119 identifying egc

Status
Not open for further replies.

dburney

I have installed a panel and have only identified the egc at the termination and my inspector says he wants it to be phased all the way to the connector but looking at 250.119 is that either way is correct can anyone help clerafy if these controdect each other

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I have installed a panel and have only identified the egc at the termination and my inspector says he wants it to be phased all the way to the connector but looking at 250.119 is that either way is correct can anyone help clerafy if these controdect each other

How far up the connector you have it identified?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you so choose it's only required that the tape encircle the conductor at each end and any accessible points in between. Encircle means one turn around with tape. Although you can re-identify the entire length it's not required. You only need to comply with one of the methods outlined in 250.119(A)(2).

(A) Conductors 4 AWG and Larger. Equipment grounding conductors 4 AWG and larger shall comply with
250.119(A)(1) and (A)(2).
(1) An insulated or covered conductor 4 AWG and larger shall be permitted, at the time of installation, to be permanently identified as an equipment grounding conductor at each end and at every point where the conductor is accessible.
Exception: Conductors 4 AWG and larger shall not be required to be marked in conduit bodies that contain no splices or unused hubs.
(2) Identification shall encircle the conductor and shall be
accomplished by one of the following:
a. Stripping the insulation or covering from the entire exposed length
b. Coloring the insulation or covering green at the termination
c. Marking the insulation or covering with green tape or green adhesive labels at the termination

Status
Not open for further replies.