250.140 frames of ranges

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I bet there are lots of ranges you can put on a 6-50 these days.
View attachment 2552449

Ammeter a neutral on ranges when ever you get the chance, I have been doing it for a decade (since around when we had this thread 10 years ago here ).
I have found one from the 1940's that did.
I would be amazed to see a range manufactured in 2020 that uses the neutral for heating or anything other than the electronic display and light.
I can't recall ever working on a range that utilized the neutral for any heating loads. but hardly ever worked on some older ones that apparently was more common to see this with. Most I have worked on did have a clock, control unit, oven lamp, maybe some other accessory here or there that was 120 volts though. My parents range they used to have even had 5-15 receptacles on it, one hot all the time one run off the oven timer unit.

I have run into a few that had basic oven and cooktop unit controls, no clocks, oven lights, etc. that did have a neutral terminal to land a supply cord on but no load side neutral conductors at all, did still come with typical factory installed but removable jumper to the frame though.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I can't recall ever working on a range that utilized the neutral for any heating loads. but hardly ever worked on some older ones that apparently was more common to see this with. Most I have worked on did have a clock, control unit, oven lamp, maybe some other accessory here or there that was 120 volts though. My parents range they used to have even had 5-15 receptacles on it, one hot all the time one run off the oven timer unit.

I have run into a few that had basic oven and cooktop unit controls, no clocks, oven lights, etc. that did have a neutral terminal to land a supply cord on but no load side neutral conductors at all, did still come with typical factory installed but removable jumper to the frame though.
Yeah thats exactly the one I have seen as well.

I had done a little back of a napkin math in that old thread and it would save about 450 tons of copper a year if manufacturers switched to making 240 volt ranges and we just used 6-50 receptacles.
As Larry pointed out there is dangerous shock potential with the old 3 wire style anyways.

retirede

My parents range they used to have even had 5-15 receptacles on it, one hot all the time one run off the oven timer unit.

I just recently helped my son-in-law remove one of these from the basement of the house they bought. It was a GE brand, I think.

kwired

Electron manager
I just recently helped my son-in-law remove one of these from the basement of the house they bought. It was a GE brand, I think.
My parents got theirs about 1968-69. Was GE brand. It moved to a couple different houses and ended up in their current house in about 1978. We retired it sometime this past winter.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
The rule for type SE conductors with a bare neutral is that it must originate from the main service panel. If the inside panel is now a subpanel and SE with a bare neutral was used, then the inspector is within his rights to require upgrading. The reason that I heard for not allowing the bare neutral in a subpanel is there is a chance the bare neutral could contact a conductive object (metallic) and cause unwanted current on all metallic objects along the path.
With that said, most inspectors here will allow us to tape the bare neutral in the panel and not have to change it.
Also, if your brother's job had an insulated neutral, then it is compliant to leave as is.

Or more simply put: the bare wire could bridge the neutral busbar to the can electrically.

Status
Not open for further replies.