Status
Not open for further replies.

Rewire

If I have conduit from panel to 1900 box with plaster ring I have a EGC to the receptacle ground terminal from the panel do I need to add a jumper or remove the insulator from the screw of the receptacle to bond the box or is the conduit considered bonded at the panel?

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
If I have conduit from panel to 1900 box with plaster ring I have a EGC to the receptacle ground terminal from the panel do I need to add a jumper or remove the insulator from the screw of the receptacle to bond the box or is the conduit considered bonded at the panel?

Yes. I do not have a picture of Exhibit 250.66 to show you.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
250.148 requires the equipment grounding conductor, where present, to be connected to the box where conductors are spliced or terminated .
250.146 provides the provisions for the requirements to attached the receptacle to the equipment grounding conductor.. this requirement varies with the type box and the type receptacle.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you do not run an egc you may not need a jumper but with an egc you do--:?.

1100207566_2.jpg

1011649511_2.gif

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
250.148 requires the equipment grounding conductor, where present, to be connected to the box where conductors are spliced or terminated .
250.146 provides the provisions for the requirements to attached the receptacle to the equipment grounding conductor.. this requirement varies with the type box and the type receptacle.

If you do not run an egc you may not need a jumper but with an egc you do--:?.

1100207566_2.jpg

1011649511_2.gif

He has a plaster ring!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
In this graphic you could remove the bonding jumper if you used a self grounding receptacle.

1011649511_2.gif

PetrosA

Left my 2008 handbook at work but I'm sure the above exhibit prohibits that.
Edit I do not think that it is a problem with a plaster ring.

I don't think it's a problem with a plaster ring or a 1900/4-11/16 device cover as long as it's a self grounding device (in the case of a plaster ring) and the cover screws press a flat section of cover against the box (in the case of a raised 1900 device cover). There were raised 1900/4-11/16 device covers in the past which also had raised corners, but I haven't seen them around for a long time.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
In this graphic you could remove the bonding jumper if you used a self grounding receptacle.

1011649511_2.gif

Just to clarify, although it was implied, I was referring to the bonding jumper between the device and the EGC. You would still need the jumper to the box.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That is out of the 2008 Handbook.
I understand that but

250.146(A) said:
A listed exposed work cover shall be permitted to be the grounding and bonding means when (1) the device is attached to the cover with at least two fasteners that are permanent (such as a rivet) or have a thread locking or screw or nut locking means and (2) when the cover mounting holes are located
on a flat non-raised portion of the cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.