250.24(C) is this a valid correction

Status
Not open for further replies.

crtemp

I installed a 200 amp meter main on the exterior of a house. Landed a #4 copper from the ufer ground to the neutral bar in the meter. I then ran 4/0 SER from the meter main to a 200 amp panel in the home. Inside the meter main, the ground and neutral wire of the SER both land on the neutral bar. In the panel in the house, the neutral wire lands on the neutral bar, but I then drilled and tapped a lug to the case and landed my ground wire there. I then drilled and tapped a ground bar to the case so I could land my grounds on that so I could keep my grounds and neutrals separated in the panel. I know that the main bonding jumper in the meter main can’t rely on the case, but what’s wrong with the grounding wires in the panel using it? The inspector tagged me citing 250.24(C)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What you did sounds correct. I don't see how that article applies to the complaint, unless you've misunderstood the complaint.

The only thing I would do differently is to land the EGC on the same grounding bus, and skip installing the separate lug.

Not because what you did is wrong; just because I'm lazy and/or cheap. :cool:

crtemp

What you did sounds correct. I don't see how that article applies to the complaint, unless you've misunderstood the complaint.

The only thing I would do differently is to land the EGC on the same grounding bus, and skip installing the separate lug.

Not because what you did is wrong; just because I'm lazy and/or cheap. :cool:
lol, I’m super cheap too, I just could not fit a 2/0 ground wire on the ground bar

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Are you sure the neutral buss doesn't have a bond screw installed (see that often when folks do as you did)

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Isn't WA on the 2020 NEC now? 250.109 is a new section resulting from a public input I submitted to make it clear that metal enclosures are an acceptable EGC. Directly addresses your situation.

Cheers, Wayne

crtemp

Isn't WA on the 2020 NEC now? 250.109 is a new section resulting from a public input I submitted to make it clear that metal enclosures are an acceptable EGC. Directly addresses your situation.

Cheers, Wayne
It depends on when the building permit was issued. This house is going on 2017 NEC

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yes I’m sure. I used the bond screw supplied with the panel to attach the lug I used.
Then you're golden.

Tell the inspector that " 250.24(C)" is not specific enough, and you need the exact sentence(s) in question.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with Larry that code section does not address your installation. Isn't the conductor in question the grounding conductor?

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What he's referring to is the bonding connection in the outside meter/main.

You're referring to the inside panel, which is a sub-panel, not the service.

You're right, he's wrong. Tell him I said so. :sneaky:

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
I installed a 200 amp meter main on the exterior of a house. Landed a #4 copper from the ufer ground to the neutral bar in the meter

If I'm reading this correctly, The exterior Meter is separate from the interior Distribution .. so maybe the Inspector doesn't care to have any down stream bonding influences within the utility enclosure. I was always informed through Kalifornia standards that the only wiring allowed bonding or not permitted within the utility "sanctuary" enclosure is their grid potential lines ... period, any other bells and whistles are on our end aka .. Ufer ..

Status
Not open for further replies.