250.30 (C) Confusion

awoody19

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I have a project in which the customer is being supplied a primary service. So they are owning the service transformer. I'm studying the mike holt grounding book and came across this graphic. Do I need to be running an equipment grounding conductor with my service conductors as is shown below? Or since it is a "service" transformer, am I not required to have the SSBJ?

1703606168431.png

Last edited:

awoody19

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
See the Exception in 250.30(A)(2). A SSBJ may not be needed.
Thanks, so I'm reading on into 250.32 (B). My customer owned transformers have overcurrent protection, so I believe I am to comply with 250.32 (B) (1) and supply an equipment grounding conductor with my feeder into the building? 250.32(B)(1) exception 2 is making me do a double take though.

awoody19

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Thanks, so I'm reading on into 250.32 (B). My customer owned transformers have overcurrent protection, so I believe I am to comply with 250.32 (B) (1) and supply an equipment grounding conductor with my feeder into the building? 250.32(B)(1) exception 2 is making me do a double take though.
And apologies, my original question was confusing. Basically I am trying to determine if I need to pull the green ground wire for one reason or another. I don't deal with too many customer owned transformers and looking to make sure its right.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
250.32(B)(1) exception 2 is there precisely to allow you to omit the EGC if you instead follow the section Augie cited.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
And apologies, my original question was confusing. Basically I am trying to determine if I need to pull the green ground wire for one reason or another. I don't deal with too many customer owned transformers and looking to make sure its right.
To clarify. 250.32(B)(2) "with overcurrent protection" means there is a breaker or disconnect at the transformer. (I think this is more for generators). You are implying that your transformer has overcurrent protection. I feel it is easier to grasp that the intention is that wherever the main overcurrent equipped disconnecting means is for the building requires an equipment grounding conductor from that point. The secondary from the transformer is pretty much indistinguishable from a service lateral.

kwired

Electron manager
250.32(B)(1) exception 2 is there precisely to allow you to omit the EGC if you instead follow the section Augie cited.

I have to agree. As long as there is no parallel paths between the two you can bond the grounded conductor at both ends in this situation and omit the SSBJ.